Rendering of the 324-unit residential building now under construction on New Jersey between M and L, to be called "Gallery at Capitol Riverfront." Donohoe purchased much of the land in 2005, then added some small lots that WMATA owned as part of the Navy Yard Metro station east entrance, and finally added the since-razed St. Matthew's Church to the project footprint. Construction began in the fall of 2014.
A view of the New Jersey and M intersection similar to the rendering above, in August 2005. The glass canopy of the Navy Yard Metro exit was installed in April 2006. (08/05)
July 12, 2015
- A slightly expanded view of same location, in July 2015, with scaffolding around the Metro entrance signaling the presence of construction, plus 100 M
, Onyx on First
, and 909 New Jersey
now looming behind.
Oct. 8, 2015
- A view of the slow-moving excavation, looking north from the alley off M Street. A tower crane arrived in early summer, and concrete work at the bottom of the hole is underway.
March 28, 2015 - The opposite view, looking south, and giving a sense of the width of the sidewalk down New Jersey.
The opposite view of the 1111 footprint, looking southward down New Jersey, in April 2006. (04/06)
August 29, 2015
- The same location, with excavation well underway. (Note also the disappearance of Spooky Building 213
at far left.)
Square 743N, seen from overhead, in March 2006; the parking lot and the church make up the 1111 New Jersey site. (03/06)
The same location, two years later, with 100 M
(left) and Onyx
(right) a few months from completion. At the very top left of the photo you can see the stadium. The church was demolished in September 2014. (11/17/08)
In May 2006 a sign went up announcing what was then an office project. (05/06)
While the 1111 New Jersey property includes the land around the Metro entrance, the building will not be brought right to the M Street line. There will be a wide plaza surrounding the Metro entrance, and the existing entrance canopy will remain. (08/06)
July 12, 2014 - A last photo of St. Matthew's Baptist Church, not quite two months before its demolition. The hill is stood on is gone as well.
December 10, 2007 - The dedication plaque, which hopefully still exists somewhere.