If you want to view more before-and-after photos of Velocity from additional locations,
see the Expanded Project Archive.
The southeast corner of the block, at 1st and L, in February 2006. (02/06)
January 31, 2015
- The same location, with the Phase 1 Velocity Condos building completed.
First Street north of L, in April 2005, where one of the many small, light-industrial businesses on the block had operated for a long time. (4/9/05)
November 28, 2009
- The same location, where Justin's Cafe opened in early 2010, selling sandwiches, pizzas, salads, and also offering a full bar.
Square 699N, looking west from high up in the Courtyard by Marriott in March 2006; L Street is on the left and K is on the right. Nation, toward the rear, is in the next block west from Square 699N. (03/06)
... And the same spot, with construction nearing completion. The second phase building (now looking to be a hotel) will front K, to the right (the garage has already been dug, and a new plaza will be there until construction starts. (11/17/08)
January 10, 2015
- Velocity is clearly visible from the Southeast Freeway at South Capitol Street; it is rising at right-center in this photo, directly behind the red roof of the McDonald's. 70/100 I
is at left, Onyx on First
is the gray building that will now much obscured by Velocity, and 55 M
is under construction at right.
Looking north across L at Cushing Street, in March 2007. The closed Edge nightclub is at left, and the building that housed Food and Friends is at right. (3/31/07)
January 16, 2011
- The same location, somewhat changed.
The Food and Friends food bank, at Cushing and L. (08/03)
July 31, 2011
- The same location, with Velocity completed. (And Capitol Hill Tower at rear.)
The Velocity sales center opened at Half and K in Fall, 2007, but was replaced in fall 2009 with a sales center inside the building and four model units. (2/9/08)
Another look at Square 699N, this time from the northwest, in January 2012, showing not only the completed Velocity building, but the stormwater garden installed by volunteers in fall 2011. (1/12/12)
The oldest photo I have of the Velocity footprint, taken with a film camera, where alas the film had gone bad. This is the northwest corner of First and L, in September 2000. (09/00)
The oldest shot in my collection of the First Street frontage, from April 2004. The businesses were still operating, they just were closed on this Sunday morning when I was taking photos. (04/04)