Nov. 24, 2006
- Van Ness Elementary School as it looked for many years, seen in 2006 after it closed as an elementary school but continuing to operate as an "early learning center." The old Capper Seniors building
is visible at far right rear.
August 11, 2016 - The same angle as above, not quite a decade later, with the renovations to the gymnasium and the addition of a second floor nearing completion.
Nov. 1, 2007 - Another angle of Van Ness, this time as seen from M Street SE, west of Hull.
June 4, 2017
- The same angle as above, with the renovated gym and new second-floor space completed.
March 15, 2008 - The school's northwest corner, at 5th and L Streets.
Aug. 11, 2016 - The front entrance, not quite yet ready for returning students.
May 29, 2016 - The new playground equipment. (Well, not quite so new by the time I got around to taking this photo.)
Nov. 1, 2007 - The rear of Van Ness as seen from the roof of the old Capper Seniors building.
July 12, 2015 - And a view of the school's rear side, as seen from M Street, with renovations underway.
June 9, 2004 - A ground-level view of the rear of Van Ness, with students playing on the playground, at the end of its second-to-last school year before its closure.
A draft drawing released in February 2015 of what the school's playground and other areas could look like after all renovations are completed. (enlarged view
If you look pretty hard at the right-hand side of this 1939 overhead photo of Near Southeast, you can see the original Van Ness Elementary at 4th and M, where the 300 M Street building now stands. After the new building on 5th opened in 1956, this old school building (eventually known as the Lenox Annex) remained on the city's property rolls under varying uses. In the 1970s it was a special education school, then an adult education center in the 1990s, but finally the building was demolished in the late 1990s for what has since become the 300 M Street SE
office building. Read more about the history of the original school in these two HillisHome posts
Feb. 3, 2005 - The school's northwest corner, at 5th and L, back in 2005 when it was still operating.
Oct. 29, 2005 - A better view of the school's main entrance--the rendering at top shows how the door will be "lifted" to align with the windows of the 1st floor.
Sept. 28, 2014 - Just to the east of the playground building is the currently closed Joy Evans Recreation Center, which also has an outdoor pool that operated for a few years as the Lincoln Capper Children's Pool.
July 12, 2015 - Ready for some sprucing up.