says: (9/20/18 5:54 AM)
Wow — thanks for the update, JD. Amazing to learn that everyone got out safely. Please continue to post links for any group accepting donations to help.
says: (9/20/18 6:43 AM)
Near Southeast Community Partners worked at the scene to provide food, face masks, water and essentials for the seniors. Seniors received food, water, juice, toothbrushes, toothpaste and more as they were loaded onto buses for the trip to King Greenleaf.
We are raising funds for the seniors through our website. Many have lost everything.
Please visit link
and give what you can to help our neighbors in need.
Donations are already coming in.
Many thanks to DC Fire, EMS and MPD for their swift action.
says: (9/20/18 7:35 AM)
Bruce-- thank you for the assistance you provided yesterday to both rescue and care for our neighbors affected by this fire.
As awful as this fire was (and it was terrible) I am relieved it didn't happen at 2 AM when people would be asleep and I am also relieved that there was minimal wind to prevent the fire from spreading to surrounding structures.
says: (9/20/18 7:42 AM)
Thank you. You are right. It would have been much worse at that hour.
Now we need to ensure that these nice folks have what they need for the long term.
I must admit, we are truly shaken by this. We were inside the building getting residents out with thick smoke in the halls. Many were in wheelchairs, which took time.
The marines were amazing.
says: (9/20/18 8:14 AM)
NBC4 will be promoting our efforts to raise funds for the seniors today on the 11AM news.
says: (9/20/18 10:46 AM)
The TV footage of the Marines sprinting towards the fire is truly remarkable. Definitely grateful to have them as neighbors as well as all of the other folks who were nearby and rushing to help. I'm trying to focus on those positives rather than the seemingly obvious shortcomings of the building management company, which put so many already-vulnerable people at risk.
says: (9/20/18 12:11 PM)
I'll chime in to give kudos to Anne and Bruce Darconte. I was nearby yesterday, and Anne and Bruce definitely saved some lives. Anne said she was up in her loft and saw flames shooting through the roof and went running over. No alarms, no sprinklers going off, so they banged on doors. Later at the community center, Anne and Bruce were right there helping and I think they also coordinated all the sandwiches that were brought in. The residents and responders didn't have enough masks, and I had a box of HEPA masks so I came home to get them. By the time I returned, someone (I think Anne or Bruce) had gone to Harris Teeter and bought them out of Medical-type masks, which they distributed. They also brought bags of personal supplies (toothpaste, etc).
It takes major guts to run into a burning building and a lot of heart to stick around and help out afterwards. So I do want to go on record to thank Anne and Bruce for their efforts. Huge impact on the entire community. Thank you!
says: (9/20/18 1:47 PM)
Some reporter at a news conference today (about that terrible stabbing of the woman in Logan Circle) asked about sprinklers/alarms. The official who answered said that the system had been checked several times over the recent years; I think April was the most recent time he mentioned. He also said that the fire was on the roof/in attic (mechanical?) and that the smoke was on the 4th floor, where alarms were going off. If I remember, he used that as an explanation for why no alarms were reportedly going off on lower levels. Only time will truly tell what went wrong, of course.
says: (9/20/18 4:19 PM)
Walt: I am very touched by the kind words. Many worked like a well oiled machine to help these folks. The mission is far from over. Near Southeast Community Partners is working with officials, agencies, groups and others to help ensure that the seniors get what they need going forward. Residents will not be returning to the building any time soon.
Donations are coming in but we can always use more. Until further notice, all $$ received will be directed for the seniors. That is stated on our donation page. link
(JDC: Systems may have worked in April, but not yesterday when it mattered. ALL floors were filled with smoke. That's first hand).
says: (9/20/18 11:08 PM)
This sucks for all those people. Glad people seem to be ok, at least physically.
Never been so close to such a large fire, my house smells like a camp fire.
says: (9/21/18 8:23 AM)
The photo at the top of this most makes it seem like the entire attic space, and likely the fourth floor, is a total loss. Has anyone seen aerial photos post-fire?
says: (9/21/18 12:19 PM)
In other news, does anyone know why four A10 aircraft flew over the neighborhood around 7 PM last night? I assume they did it for the Nationals game but I didn't see any kind of Air Force night promotion last night.
says: (9/21/18 12:48 PM)
yes. flyover was for nats game, it was US Air Force day.
says: (9/21/18 5:43 PM)
Several reports that Taylor Gourmet is closing all of its locations. I’ve never eaten there but this is unfortunate.link
says: (9/24/18 9:01 AM)
NOOOOOOO. I love Taylor Gourmet. It's my go-to :(
says: (10/1/18 10:19 AM)
I am really concerned that a newly constructed building apparently had a total alarm system and sprinkler system failure. I really hope this is investigated and that other newly constructed buildings in the area test their sprinkler and alarm systems somehow. This kind of thing should not happen in newer buildings (or any buildings, but especially not newer ones).
Add a Comment:
Comments are closed for this post.
JDLand Comments RSS Feed