Recent Comments

225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

RMP commenting on DDOT Unveils Planned Extension of Navy Yard Circulator to M St. SW, L'Enfant Plaza
12/16/17 11:15 AM
I support this change. I like the current Ciculator route in theory, but it takes so long to actually get to Union Station that I almost never use it for that purpose.

There's actually a broader question about bus routes that I've been asking for a while. We don't have any cross-town bus route that connect downtown. The P6 only goes as far west as 11th. The V1 doesn't go north of the Mall, plus it only runs during rush hour. Even if they make this Ciculator change it still won't get you north of the Mall.

I'd love to see a bus that connects the Navy Yard Metro to the Foggy Bottom Metro, possibly via the Wharf area. I understand that in the past there wasn't enough population to justify it, but with all the population growth in the neighborhood lately, plus Southwest, it seems like it's time to re-think it.

NavyYardGuy commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/15/17 2:39 PM
@ JD..was that a hint..like Compass coffee is coming to Navy Yard too?

Ampersand commenting on DDOT Unveils Planned Extension of Navy Yard Circulator to M St. SW, L'Enfant Plaza
12/15/17 1:22 PM
aaaaaaand now that I've posted that I see exactly such a route would also be created. OK, I'm good!

JD commenting on DDOT Unveils Planned Extension of Navy Yard Circulator to M St. SW, L'Enfant Plaza
12/15/17 1:20 PM
"Circulator service between Union Station, Barracks Row, and the Washington Navy Yard (the actual, living, breathing, functioning "Navy Yard") would be available on a reconfigured version of the Potomac Avenue-Skyland route (see page 52 of the report for a map)."

12/15/17 1:19 PM
As much as I like the idea of a Circulator that goes all the way to Union Station, I more often find myself wishing there was a non-Metro connection between here and the western part of SW, especially now that the Wharf is a thing. Would be nice if there was still a route from Barracks Row/Eastern Market to Union Station though.

JD commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/15/17 11:38 AM
It's like there are or will be coffee places at all points of the Compass in the neighborhood.

JES commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/15/17 11:02 AM
Philz is by far my favorite, but I much prefer Peet's to Starbucks.

sameter commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/15/17 10:01 AM
Not sure, after reading about the movie it goes back to the 60's i believe. but yes, i would agree its most likely for the dome shot.

jdc commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/15/17 9:35 AM
Going to Lot 38 in a minute! Slipstream is a bit too strong and pricey for me; I have yet to make the trek to Philz. I am not a fan of Peet's or Starbucks.

jdc commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/15/17 9:33 AM
Yes, I was thinking Declaration, Oath, and also All Purpose as the 'existing' ones.

JD commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 7:30 PM
Cheney first came to DC long before he was VP.

malatesta commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 7:25 PM
@sameter: Huh. Didn't that stretch of New Jersey look, a little, uh, different back during the Bush administration? (e.g. link

I guess maybe they're trying to catch some sweet capitol dome establishing shots.

sameter commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 5:19 PM
the movie filming on new jersey is called backseat, its about dick cheney. christian bale is the lead, but had a bunch of big names in it.

smitty2k1 commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 3:37 PM
As a super-heavy coffee drinker I'm always pleased to see more coffee places. However, most days I just brew at my desk. I do enjoy the soda-fountain style coffee at Bethesda Bagels though. Not crazy about the $$$ coffee at Slipstream or Philz, and of course, Starbucks is Starbucks.

I should go to Lot 38 more.

conngs0 commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 2:52 PM
Agree with all of the comments on Lot 38. If they keep selling that Illy coffee at a decent price, hopefully they'll be fine. I definitely prefer them to Peet's. And yeah, the DOT Starbucks is bar none the worst Starbucks I've ever been to.

Snacks commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 2:31 PM
Team Lot 38. Slipstream is nice and locally owned so I am proud to support them too. But if given a choice, I will always go to Lot 38 before another coffee place.

202_cyclist commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 12:17 PM
But where will the trolls go if Bardo moves closer to the bridge?

JD commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 12:15 PM
Amp, the footprint for phase two is between Dock 79 and Bardo. But adding up the need for staging space, plus the impending arrival of Dacha, and the seemingly dismal performance of Bardo last year, I'm not sure how much longer Bardo will be around. Though they could just move closer to the bridge.

RMP commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 12:11 PM
I agree with JD that this seems like a play to get business from the morning Metro rush. It will be easy for Peet's to steal business from Starbucks given that it's a better location (you don't have to cross the street twice) and the DOT Starbucks is one of the worst locations they have IMO.

202_cyclist commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 12:08 PM
There is now free wifi at the Navy Yard/JD Land metro station.

link

Ampersand commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 12:04 PM
JD, does this mean that scourge of the local beer scene Bardo will soon be put out of its misery? Fingers crossed!

JD commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 11:55 AM
And, off topic, but I've now added some updated renderings for Dock 79's sibling to my Florida Rock page. These were submitted to the Zoning Commission and approved back during my Time of Troubles, so I missed them, but at least they are now added. A preview here, but the rest at: link

Ampersand commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 11:51 AM
I've eaten the Bethesda Bagels lunchtime pizza - it's actual pizza sold by the large slice for a few bucks. Pretty decent in my opinion, but I'm probably the worlds worst pizza critic because I like all of it. Haven't tried the pizza bagels though.

202_cyclist commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 11:17 AM
@JH_105 -- Slipstream is also on NJ Ave.

I don't mind more options for coffee. At least it isn't another bank or CVS.

JD commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 10:54 AM
I am guessing that Peet's will get a ton of business from people coming right out of the subway, hence their decision to lease there. If you work in the neighborhood office buildings to the west of New Jersey and north of M, there aren't really that many options, especially if you don't want to go out of your way by crossing M to go to Starbucks.

JH_105 commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 10:47 AM
This is definitely a disappointing development. With Lot 38, Starbucks, and Bethesda Bagels all within about 150 yards of Insignia I feel like the neighborhood could have done so much better than another coffee stop. Bummer.

bryan commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 10:39 AM
I also forgot another upcoming Pizza place: Declaration, opening in F1rst.

As for Bethesda Bagel, their menu lists both Pizza Bagels and NY Style Pizza by the slice, though I have yet to try either. I've never been in there around lunch time.

202_cyclist commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 10:24 AM
More options for caffeine of course are always welcomed but I hope Lot 38 can continue to compete. Lot 38 is a great restaurant for the neighborhood.

dude commenting on Peet's Coffee Coming to Insignia on M
12/14/17 10:01 AM
Stay strong and fight the coffee barbarians.

dude commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 10:01 AM
I always pick up my Dominos. But this is because I'm cheap and it's a 2 minute drive each way.

stacycloyd commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 9:51 AM
Walt, I know the Dupont Bethesda Bagels sells pizza bagels so I'm guessing it's the same here in JDland.

I'm sorry about your pizza incident but it seems tampering could happen in the store during preparation as well as during delivery...so not sure if sealing the box would make a huge difference, though it seems it might have in your case?

walt commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/14/17 9:27 AM
Bryan -- nice pizza sleuthing! I didn't know Bethesda Bagel serves pizza. On bagels? or regular pizza dough? I wasn't too impressed with their bagel sandwiches, so I haven't been back since its first week.

As for the pizza delivery service companies: is it just me? Or would anyone else feel a little better if the food boxes were "sealed" at the store before the delivery people take possession? I won't order from Dominos anymore due to an "incident" which I won't detail here. All they need is a tamper-resistant sticker to see if the box has been opened.

Shogungts commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/13/17 6:04 PM
Thanks Bryan - I totally forgot about All Purpose and Oath.

Wiseguys and All Purpose are very different types of pizza places; it would be like comparing District Taco to Agua 301.

I have never been to Oath; it looks closer to Wiseguys than All Purpose, but still different - styles of pizza, selling whole pies vs by the slice, etc.

And if the neighborhood can have a Chopt and Sweetgreen, Bonchon and Buffalo Wild Wings, Subway and Taylor Gourmet and Roti and Cava Grill, I think it can handle Oath and Wiseguys.

JD commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/13/17 5:21 PM
It did not come from SW! 1200 South Capitol, SE corner of South Cap and M.

MJM commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/13/17 4:21 PM
Whether it's good or not but the original pizza place even if it came from SW: Domino's

bryan commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/13/17 4:02 PM
I'll take a shot naming all of the pizza places:
>All-Purpose Pizzeria, to open in Dock 79
>Oath Pizza, to open in Insignia on M

Also places that sell pizza, but not pizza places per se
>Justin's Cafe
>Gordon Biersch
>Scarlet Oak
>Bethesda Bagel
>Open Road Grill, to open in 99M
>Shilling Canning Company, to open in Arris

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/13/17 3:47 PM
Who plays you in the biopic?

JD commenting on Chipotle Opening on 1st Street SE on Dec. 14
12/13/17 3:31 PM
Not my biopic,but I was actually interviewed on camera in the hood today,so next best thing.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed