Recent Comments

225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

202_cyclist commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/13/18 10:21 AM
@AllIsNotWells -- that is what I thought. Thank you for confirming.

202_cyclist commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/13/18 10:21 AM
@AllIsNotWells -- that is what I thought. Thank you for confirming.

AllIsNotWells commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/13/18 10:04 AM
@202 New member orientation for the 116th congress.

202_cyclist commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/13/18 8:14 AM
Folks— what big event is happening at the Courtyard Marriott this week?

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/12/18 11:18 PM
@spiritequality: Rhymes with “groovy tea waiter” and “newbie fee hater?”

JNB commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/12/18 10:52 PM
HQ2 to Crystal City. Just announced.

spiritequality commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/12/18 2:40 PM
Any update on the project that rhymes with smoothly bee eater?

JD commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/10/18 3:38 PM
@202, they say they are "nearing the end." But I'm also guessing the sale of your property went through.

@Chris, Hatoba's liquor license application was just posted in the Register.

VelocityChris commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/10/18 3:36 PM
Anyone heard any updates on the Hatoba ramen place that's going into the 100 Montaditos old location?

202_cyclist commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/10/18 2:52 PM
It looks like all of the CSX construction equipment has been cleared from the lot that Greystar purchased. Does this suggest construction might begin soon?

Bruce commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/9/18 9:09 PM
I saw the endorsements and voted for Edwards.

Sally M commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/9/18 8:39 AM
JD, if you run the board of elections, I promise to sign up as volunteer! My precinct is always staffed by a cheerily resolute band of seniors, but it's a crazy long day, and they're enthusiastic about the idea of some younger assitance.

JD commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/8/18 9:17 PM
By the way, I've always said I want no part of elective office, but I've decided that my calling is running the board of elections. I could definitely make the train run on time, so to speak.

Westnorth commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/8/18 2:57 PM
Not to mention that local retailers do have a legitimate reason to want at least some access to short-term street parking.

willinrm commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/8/18 8:32 AM
i second that, (without the math), just looking at it logically, there is already 0 parking without letting apartment owners have street parking, how in the world would that be feasible??? (maybe rezoning could help?)

Fingers crossed he focuses on some realistic and more problematic issues, like increased police in the area / crime / dcha issues (and those they contract out to).

RMP commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/7/18 2:35 PM
Well as a non-driver I don't really feel like my rep's time and energy is well spent on an unrealistic pursuit like getting everyone with cars access to free street parking. I mean, I get it, paying $200+ per month per car sucks and if you ask anyone if they'd like to trade their garage parking space for effectively free street parking of course a lot of them are going to say yes. The problem is that it's not realistic in a high density neighborhood like ours.

I did a back of the envelop and figure than once the Parcel O and L buildouts are done, the Yards phase 1 area will have a little over 1,300 housing units in 6 buildings. The streets around that area (from NJ to 5th south of M) maybe have space for 200-250 cars. Even if you assume a third of households have zero cars and the rest has just one, the math doesn't work. It's not like those streets are empty right now.

Anyway, I haven't gotten to meet Edward yet and hopefully will soon. It sounds like he's open to hearing everyone's concerns. With ANC of course it's very good to have someone who is engaged in the community since it's the kind of position that's easy to phone it in if you want to.

Hcl16 commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/7/18 12:43 PM
I saw the GGW endorsement but went with Edward Daniels instead. As a house dweller, I really don’t agree with Edward’s hope to open up street permit parking for apartment folks but he actually came around and introduced himself to us and asked what issues we were concerned about etc. Brandt never did that — all we got was a flyer stuck in the door and we were home at the time, would’ve opened the door and talked to him had he (or his representative) knocked!

RDC commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/7/18 12:23 PM
@RMP, I agree. I was surprised by the high turnout (85%+!) for 6D07, which makes me think a sizable portion of those voters may not have known anything about the GGWash or incumbent endorsements.

RMP commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/6/18 11:23 PM
Brandt Miller got the endorsements from Meredith herself and GGWash. Both made him out to be the obvious best choice. However I barely saw any evidence he was running aside from a few small signs. Edward, on the other hand, had signs up everywhere with his picture on them so I can see how he had the name recognition in the voting booth. Edward's platform makes it seem like his top priority is parking which I personally find pretty disappointing. I hope he doesn't lose focus of the many other important issues around here.

JD commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/6/18 10:44 PM
In local local local election results, ANC 6D07 (Meredith Fascett's open seat) has been won by Edward Daniels, while in 6D02 Anna Forgie clobbered incumbent Cara Lee Shockley.

dude commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/6/18 8:51 AM
Wow! "including interactive social media opportunities." Sign me up!

202_cyclist commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/5/18 5:21 PM
@Ampersand-- Indeed, 2010 was such a simpler time.

Also, this: "new and improved Safeway at Fourth and M, SW."

Jajajajajajajajajajajajajaja! It's only been open for eight years and that store is incredibly depressing.

202_cyclist commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/5/18 5:18 PM
Modern Nail Bar doesn't do anything for me. Such a waste of a corner with outside seating. I was saying it would be much better if Modern Nail Bar was a construction-themed bar for all of the construction workers in the neighborhood. They could serve drinks like the Jackhammer.

Ampersand commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/5/18 5:09 PM
That Justin's opening day link has pretty funny comments, looking back with eight years' perspective. Justin's had very mixed reviews, although everyone agreed that the SW Waterfront Safeway was amazing.

RMP commenting on Catching Up With a Boatload of Recent Tidbits
11/5/18 4:20 PM
It appears the build out for Shilling Canning has also just begun.

JD commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/5/18 3:27 PM
I'll give them credit, they finally stopped going with "next year."

202_cyclist commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/5/18 2:37 PM
Will we have the Bridge Park or hyperloop first?

link

Snacks commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/5/18 10:42 AM
The old signage on the windows of 18|8, the haircut place, is now down and it looks like it's being built out. Or it's possible that's as far as progress got before they pulled the plug.

Either way, anyone have info on what's happening in that space?

11/5/18 9:46 AM
jdc-- Dan Reed wrote an excellent article in the Washingtonian nearly two years ago about this. This would be one of the best improvements for Washington but I doubt it will happen.

link

jdc commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/5/18 8:11 AM
Because JD is such a great prognosticator (see location of WF), how about a detailed post discussing burying 695?

11/4/18 8:37 PM
The highways and So. Capitol St are clear boundaries for the neighborhood.

JD commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/4/18 8:19 PM
That's (one of the reasons) why I have never used Capitol Riverfront--because it includes Buzzard Point and I don't.

malatesta commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/4/18 6:30 PM
The little triangle between 11th, SE Blvd and the river is on the development map.

Although the Capitol Riverfront BID claims Buzzard Point, the JDLand-Swill accords recognize this as defacto SW territory.

11/4/18 6:16 PM
And what’s up with Maritime Plaza creepin’ up in there? Is that really part of JD Land?

11/4/18 4:00 PM
I think all those BID names work well, except for "North of M Street" because that is not definitive enough - Capitol Quarter is also north of M Street. I'd also use NJ Ave to divide that segment of JD Land from the part around Canal Park, which should be its own little sliver.

JD commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/3/18 4:20 PM
I was actually thinking that this could help ensure that the bike paths get built alongside the new Long Bridge. But you have a better vision than I do!

BTW, kind of have a bunch of stuff going on these days, but hope to get a post up on the new #SoCHill plans and all the various other tidbits at some point. Posting when the mood strikes, as I threatened I would be doing a few months back. :)

11/3/18 4:20 PM
RMP: back in 2014, this actually was the plan for future Metro expansion: link

But, uh, something tells me metro isn't doing anything on this scale anytime soon.

RMP commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/3/18 4:08 PM
Imagine a world where we tunneled under the Wharf, East Potomac Park and then made a direct line to Crystal City. Then it would be only 3 stops with no transfer!

JD commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/3/18 3:54 PM
I spoke with a Hood developer recently who basically said the same thing Section314 did. More residents, more growth, but without the omnipresence of AMZN within the DC borders.

Section314 commenting on Yards West Zoning Filing: Residential on Parcel I, New Streets
11/3/18 3:09 PM
Actually Amazon II will be in the neighborhood big time! Many, many of those folks will want to live in JDLand, SoCHill, Navy Yard, Capitol Riverfront or whatever you want to call it. Only 5 Metro stops away (albeit with a transfer).

Housing construction activity will really have to pick up around here! JD will have to get new walking shoes to document all of the new construction. And, yes, I am being facetious about "picking up". Seriously, it ain't gonna stop now.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed