Recent Comments

225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

Ampersand commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/16/17 5:40 PM
Oh, hey, what's this email I just got?

" Thank you for your interest in The Bower, the only condominium residences located in the heart of The Yards.

The website is now live and floor plans for select units can be viewed at www.thebowerdc.com. Preview appointments may be scheduled starting October 18th through October 27th and sales will begin with the grand opening of The Bower Sales Center on Sunday, October 29th, at 12:00 pm.

If you would like to learn more about The Bower, please call 202-869-5233, and a member of the Sales Team will be happy to assist you."

Ampersand commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/16/17 4:40 PM
This may be ancient news, but yesterday I noticed for the first time that the garage on the NW side of Nats Park has apparently been branded the "Geico Parking Garage". I was amused that of all things, the parking garage was sponsored. No fewer than three prominent signs along S Capitol.

Of course this probably happened in March and I'm just unobservant.

malatesta commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/15/17 1:06 PM
I've been our of town since Friday, so I'm not sure when it went up, but there's a new tower crane at the NAB HQ site. I think that brings the total to 8 inside JDland borders.

dude commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/14/17 7:26 PM
There's always positives folks: we'll never have to cheer for Werthless ever again!

Three guys performed in the postseason: Strasburg, Doolittle and Taylor. The rest...

And yes, I'll still be buying playoff tickets next year despite the repeated disappointments!

stacycloyd commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/13/17 12:36 PM
For those of you listening to the game on the radio (which we learned is about a batter ahead of the TV broadcast, so you can get your heart broken a couple minutes sooner) did you hear the commercial for the Bower?

10/13/17 10:53 AM
" How do you think I feel? Betrayed, bewildered..."

jdc commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/13/17 9:11 AM
Lots of excavation going on at Parc phase II these days.

10/13/17 7:14 AM
Is it April yet?

10/12/17 8:55 PM
MICHAEL A+ TAYLOR!!!

link

10/12/17 8:50 PM
As the kiddos say, that Wharf though.

Ampersand commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/12/17 5:34 PM
@202_cyclist - I second your rec of Handy Bikes. Pete does a great job and has very fair prices.

10/12/17 12:43 PM
We were visiting NYC this past weekend and took water taxis between Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and Manhattan and Governor's Island. It was very scenic and convenient. I hope there is expanded water taxi service (and it is not just some tourist amenity with expensive tickets) for the Capitol Riverfront.

JD commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/12/17 12:08 PM
The Yards Park marina has a water taxi slip built in. I know they are wanting one, but who knows behind the scenes goings-on.

RMP commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/12/17 11:56 AM
With all the news of the Wharf and the new water taxi, is there still a plan to expand that to the neighborhood? I recall hearing something about this before but can't find much.

10/12/17 11:16 AM
Two construction updates this morning.

1) There was a soil boring machine on the lot at 1st and K Street SE. Speaking of that lot, I highly recommend the bike mechanic there. He provides excellent and honest service.

2) There was a big concrete pour this morning with about a dozen cement trucks at the West Half Street site.

10/11/17 7:24 PM
MICHAEL A+ TAYLOR!!!!

link

malatesta commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/11/17 6:07 PM
Looks like 769N is above ground.

walt commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/11/17 3:41 PM
@Ampersand - re: the broken glass.
I've had a recycling truck come through my alley on multiple occasions that takes bottles in, crushes them, and then broken glass shards fall out of the rear right side of the truck when it starts moving. It's almost comical! At first I thought it had to be malicious too, but I have security cameras and finally found the entire thing on video. I sent the video in to DPW and they promised to fix it, and I haven't had another problem since then, but it's possible that another truck has a similar problem. Whatever the problem was in the truck, the hole that allowed glass to escape must not have been big enough to allow cans or paper out because only glass fell (in sizes about a quarter to half-dollar in size). It was a HUGE amount of glass, and only dropped when the truck started up again after a stop and possibly a crush.

jdc commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/11/17 9:04 AM
Oh. Gotta get over there.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/11/17 8:47 AM
Juice Laundry's been open for weeks and was open yesterday (10/10).

jdc commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/9/17 9:28 PM
Juice Laundry is not open, right?

10/9/17 6:00 PM
I'm not going to turn your comment section into a live update of the Nats but a couple of hits would be nice.

10/9/17 4:32 PM
NATS! NATS! NATS!

JD commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/9/17 10:24 AM
Eater has a piece on Rasa:

link

"Hope to open by November." We shall see!

JD commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/7/17 4:27 PM
I know everyone in the neighborhood is issued a dog, but if anyone has cats and uses the Breeze litter box system, give me a shout, because I have about ten unopened bags of pads that I'm happy to give you.

RMP commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/7/17 11:35 AM
The Arris cleaning staff were pealing the paper off of the windows at the Bower office and getting it cleaned up, so I imagine the opening is imminent.

Here's hoping for some actual offense at tonight's game! My personal postseason record has dropped to a pathetic 1-6.

Mere commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 6:33 PM
It's actually due south dockside that's open. Morini has its doors open but no action yet.

Ampersand commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 2:59 PM
JH_105, about three weeks ago (or more?) I encountered some almost-certainly-maliciously-spread broken glass along both of the North Carolina Ave bike lanes between Eastern Market and Lincoln Park. (Almost-certainly-maliciously-spread because it was several colors of glass mixed, spread over 50+ feet, only in the bike lanes, and on both sides of the street). I made a 311 request and then tweeted about it and as best as I can tell, it never got taken care of but did eventually get ground up by cars and kind of dispersed. Which is to say, I don't think 311 really cares, although I've seen the pile you're talking about and it's much more obvious than the NC Ave stuff. Maybe try reaching out to Meredith Fascett? She's great and almost certainly knows who to poke about getting it done. If I still lived nearby I'd go out there with a broom and dustpan myself, but alas...

As for biking on the Navy Yard riverwalk, I did it this morning at 9am on my ride into work. Saw the signs and tried to decide whether I'd seen them before. Nobody yelled at me, although it was sparsely populated and I rode slowly. The stretch from 11th to the bend at the gazebo is BAAAAAAD - there is a gap of about two inches between concrete panels that could very easily eat a tire and cause a rider to flip/fall, and I suspect this may be where 202's friend may have been hurt. Anyway, most of the path is very very wide, so I don't see why it's any harm to ride slowly and conscientiously on the river side of the path (to avoid possibly colliding with people exiting the gates). I'd walk the narrow footbridge, too, if anyone was around. Anyway, it's not a good route for anyone in a hurry. I won't plan to ever use it if I don't have time to stop and walk if it's busy or I'm asked to do so.

JH_105 commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 1:51 PM
I saw someone actually walking a bike on that section of the path earlier this week, but to be fair I just assumed it was a Navy Yard/BID plant.

Speaking of bikes, there's still a big pile of shattered glass from a busted-out car window right in the bike lane at New Jersey & I on I eastbound, just on the north side of Harry's/909 CY. It's pretty clear that the streetsweeper has been by and whiffed. I put in a 311 request, but anyone know a better way than that to have the city get the mess out of there and save some tires?

RMP commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 1:03 PM
Sorry if this is already known, but I just found an old article that says the name of the Forest City building on Parcel O is going to be "Guild"? I didn't see any reference to that here on JDland so I'm not sure if it's official or not.

JD commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 11:46 AM
With CSX removing those beams/tubes in the 200 block of Virginia, I am wondering when the intersection of 2nd and H might open (even if you can't go eastward on Virginia to 3rd for another few months). Opening that would make the new block of H in front of Agora a not-dead-end, which might be an important step. (Not hinting at anything, just my own observation.)

10/6/17 11:36 AM
@JD-- I think the real risk of falling into the might Anacostia is getting hepatitis rather than sustaining an injury from falling.

JD commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 11:06 AM
Meant to include this, though it's not really in my coverage sphere. Note the expanded list of items that DC now accepts in recycling bins:

link

(and you're not supposed to bag your recyclables, just toss them in the bins. Oops! Sorry! Sorry!)

JD commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 11:05 AM
Re: Navy Yard Riverwalk, that concrete was poured in about 2004. But the lack of real "fencing" (can't think of a better word) on the water side of the path is an issue, too--the intersection of bikes and peds could very much result in someone going into the water in the current configuration.

NavyYardRes commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 10:56 AM
RE: Bower - Units seem small. Less then 700 sq. feet for a 1 bedroom.

RE: Whole Foods - An official update from WC Smith would be wise. The lack of transparency on the timeline is unwarranted and the talk of ALL those who live in the Navy Yard. Especially those in PC who were told it would be open already.

RE: The Garrett - Given the extremely slow pace of completion for the Agora, I would bet the Garrett is completed in 2020 or later.

10/6/17 10:49 AM
Regarding the prohibition about biking along the Navy's portion of the riverfront, one of my colleagues broke her wrist biking there last year. The pavement is in terrible condition, with many grooves in the pavement, so it is probably best to heed that restriction.

I really wish the Navy would improve the condition of that section of the river walk.

jdc commenting on Friday Tidbits: Playoffs, Willow, Dockside, and More
10/6/17 10:43 AM
So interested to see what prices end up being at the Bower.

10/6/17 10:39 AM
JD & Ampersand-- you both beat me to the updates I saw this morning, so I will just say NATS! NATS! NATS!

JDLand Comments RSS Feed