Recent Comments

Nat'l Community Church
Factory 202/Yards
SC1100
Completed
Thompson Hotel ('20)
West Half ('19)
Novel South Capitol ('19)
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

GarfieldPark commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/1/20 7:55 PM
Whole Foods boarded up and closed. Harry's has also been boarded up, not sure if it's still open. CVS really coming together on I st.

JD commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/1/20 4:04 PM
Raze applications have been filed for the buildings on the west side of the 1000 block of New Jersey (the cab garage and the charter school). The second phase of Paradigm's Meridian on First is on the boards for there.

VelocityChris commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/31/20 12:10 PM
The substance of the article doesn't add clarity to whether Half St SE will or won't be permanently closed to vehicle traffic. But the main rendering picture has a couple structures halfway down that look possibly permanent and look like they'd obstruct traffic? I know, I'm just looking for any indication that supports the conclusion I want, but one can hope!

link

Sasq commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/30/20 12:56 AM
@Jaal @jscott280 Hey neighbor! Last I was told, the 2nd floor "should" close around June 20th-ish. Didn't seem like a definite....

NavyYardGuy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/29/20 11:12 PM
I'll try too.
Link to Bammy's menu.

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

dcgent commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/29/20 5:31 PM
Secon try on Bammy link link

dcgent commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/29/20 5:31 PM
Another look at Bammy

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

jaal commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/29/20 1:39 PM
@Sasq & @ Jscott280
Fellow envy here! Any updates on closing?

GaryRKarr commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/29/20 12:28 PM
Looks like ColdStone Creamery is getting ready on Half Street.

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/29/20 8:36 AM
Apparently Bammy (in the old whaleys space) is opening up today for takeout

link

conngs0 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/28/20 10:50 PM
Heard the Navy Yard Bang is not on the main website any longer? Or is that because it’s affiliated with Vida, which can’t open yet?

Andres4Mayor commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/28/20 7:19 PM
RIP Juice Laundry. They had some delicious smoothies but never seemed to click in that location.

Meanwhile across the street Yellow Cafe is ready to go.

202_cyclist commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/28/20 4:32 PM
Also, since there is no more SWTLQTC, it looks like more residential development is coming to Buzzard Point.

link

202_cyclist commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/28/20 4:27 PM
Chicken + Whiskey is coming to the neighborhood.

link

tmich93 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/28/20 2:30 PM
@CL85 I witnessed a motor vehicle theft in front of Bonchon on K St a few nights ago. Poor delivery guy left the car running and I only caught the last seconds of the theft. Luckily, I was able to tell police which way he went. WaPo had reporting this week on an increase of cars of delivery drivers being stolen.

SWneighbor commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/27/20 9:37 PM
Thanks for posting!

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/27/20 8:50 PM
@walt: Good to know I’m not alone in my New FDMB geekdom. I, too, want to watch the final piece of the final arch get installed.

You’ve probably noticed that completion of the fourth (of the six) arches is taking forever. Its final piece has been sitting in wait for a month. I finally got close enough to a construction worker today to ask why. He said the alignment of the currently unfinished arch is not within tolerance and that some work on one or more of the pieces is necessary to ensure an acceptable fit of the final piece.

[I’m taking 2039 in the Guess the Year of the WaPo Front Page Emergency FDMB Safety Shutdown Headline Over/Under.]

Makes me assume that the current New FDMB team will eventually be EXTREMELY cautious about planning for and announcing the date on which we can expect to celebrate [choose one:] Archmas/Fredsgiving.

CL85 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/27/20 4:12 PM
Sorry, six motor vehicle thefts actually in that time.

CL85 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/27/20 4:12 PM
Anyone else notice what appears to be a spree of motor vehicle thefts in the neighborhood, according to the crime blotter? Five in less than two weeks definitely seems like a new and concerning trend.

jdc commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/27/20 3:41 PM
Wow. It looks great! Meanwhile, the construction around Half St. and K is such a disaster. I am glad to be home during all of it.

202_cyclist commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/27/20 1:00 PM
@SWneighbor-- I'll try.

jdc commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/27/20 12:39 PM
@Jscott280 - you'll need to upload them somewhere else then create a new post here and use the option below to paste a URL into the post. JDland itself does not allow uploading of photos.

jdc commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/27/20 12:38 PM
@walt - that is news to the JDland comments. Sad to hear that, if it's permanent. The website and twitter make it sound like it's a temporary closure, but removing signage seems a bit drastic vs merely covering the windows. So we'll see. As for the business, I visited once and always meant to go back because the juice was very good. But, it was a bit out of the way from my regular lunch time walking route and so that never happened.

walt commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/27/20 11:53 AM
I wonder if it's possible to get advance notice when the Douglass bridge puts in the last section of arch. It would be nice to get a socially distant, neighborhood cheer on from Yards Park.

walt commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/27/20 11:50 AM
I noticed the Juice Laundry on 4th removed all of its signage and looks closed up. <sorry if this is a repeat...I haven't been keeping up>

Jscott280 commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/27/20 8:15 AM
@SWneighbor - how does one post a picture on this thread. I have pics of Half Street i can share.

SWneighbor commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/25/20 7:18 PM
Could someone please post a few photos of half street as it is now? I am stuck out of town and won't be able to return to DC until August.

jdc commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
5/24/20 8:22 PM
My fingers are crossed for the neighborhood, which I have not seen since mid-March but will this week. In Old Town today, there was a growing number of vacated storefronts from places that have already closed for good.

JD commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/24/20 4:40 PM
I have not heard anything about Half Street going full pedestrian all the time. It was always planned that it would be streetscaped like a ped-only street, since it is closed much of the time, but that during non-stadium events it would remain open. But maybe that's changed.

Also, the various oversight boards have always shot down lights strung across the street. Again, maybe that's changed, but....

VelocityChris commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/24/20 9:00 AM
@sasq excellent, I hope it's true, surprised it hasn't been announced, even if it's only proposed and awaiting final DDOT approvals or something. Just the fact that it's being officially proposed would be exciting news. Now I'll move on to speculating what the large black poles with eyelets are for: banners or lights strung across the pedestrian mall or something more creative than I can come-up with?

Sasq commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/22/20 11:52 PM
@velocitychris I saw one of the foreman and asked. He confirmed that it would be a pedestrian street.

VelocityChris commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/22/20 11:04 PM
I remember someone posting what I think was just speculation that half street between N and M was going to be closed permanently to vehicle and be a pedestrian mall. I don't remember that being officially announced, but with 1) that brick they're laying down, 2) the fact there is no curb (street is flush with the "sidewalk") and 3) the large black poles for hanging banners or stringing lights separate from the street lights, it's really seeming like maybe it's true?! Do I dare dream it's true?

Jscott280 commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/21/20 12:54 PM
Looks like more retail is coming to N street (across the street from mission/ Walter) JBG portion.

jdc commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/21/20 6:41 AM
Next week, I'll be in the neighborhood for a bit for the first time since mid-March, and what may be last time until....fall? winter? next year? Very sad.

202_cyclist commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/19/20 1:58 PM
During my quarantine run today, I saw that a tower crane is being installed at the 1000 South Capitol development.

Now that is very exciting, of course, but continuing on to the other side of South Capitol, into SWTLQTC-territory, I saw two workers surveying the Randall School site. One of them mentioned that construction is going to begin on that.

ValveetaChz commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/18/20 3:12 PM
It's still coming! They had to cut a door through the window. I was also wondering where they were going to put a door and now I know!

Sasq commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/18/20 2:14 PM
A few weeks ago I saw a permit in the window at the corner below the Bower. I assumed it was going to be Jeni's. Last week, it was not there...

202_cyclist commenting on Checking in From My Bunker, and an Open Thread
5/18/20 11:54 AM
Folks--- I hope you're all sitting down for this because this is enough to stir you out of your coronavirus blues... the neighborhood's second CVS looks like it will be opening soon at One Hill South. There are already signs installed.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed