Recent Comments

JDLand.com's Official Unofficial Guide, Updated for 2018!
In the Pipeline
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

RMP commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/17/18 8:19 AM
The Bower is now serving sponsored ads on Facebook that say "Named one of the worlds coolest neighborhoods by Forbes" though now it looks like Forbes is trying to distance themselves from the whole thing? link

NavyYardNittany commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/16/18 11:46 PM
Re Cornercopia, I didn’t realize that place was open for business...? It’s always closed. Anyone have an idea of hours they’re open? Thx

dbt commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/16/18 5:26 PM
@RMP - The people on the terrace at District Winery this morning (including yours truly, for a time) were watching the Golic and Wingo Show, which was broadcasting live from there on ESPN Radio and ESPN2. Great views from that spot, and another nice national media plug for the neighborhood.

JD commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/16/18 11:48 AM
If you're interested in the new Douglass Bridge, DDOT has sent out a survey that you might want to fill out: link

malatesta commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/16/18 10:24 AM
@RMP: I believe the stop work order was just for public spaces (so no trucks or cranes on the streets), but interior work can continue.

7/16/18 10:23 AM
For those qui parle Francais, a Montreal columnist looks at the ballpark (since Montreal is hoping to do the same thing if they can get a team again). He had a nice chat with a blogger of French Canadian lineage: link

walt commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/16/18 10:17 AM
JD - fantastic montage of your photos on that Post piece.
I'm having a lot of fun with all of these visitors in the neighborhood. They're friendly and everyone just wants to enjoy themselves. Absolutely no bad apples so far!

7/16/18 9:33 AM
Pretty quiet this morning when I walked my dog down Half Street. I thought they were pausing construction this week but I guess not? Lots of hammering and crane movement on Half Street. There are a bunch of people hanging out on the terrace at the Winery. I assume it's something official otherwise people just really like wine for breakfast?

7/16/18 9:07 AM
Interesting piece in the Washington Monthly about Business Improvement Districts, with a big part of the focus on the Capitol Riverfront BID: link

dude commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/15/18 1:22 PM
Cool article. For the record, my wife loves the Cornercopia sandwiches.

7/15/18 10:21 AM
Thanks. For newcomers who don't know, I work in the Post newsroom, which is why I am somewhat of ghost in that piece. Didn't know the photos would be quite such a centerpiece, and it's a shame that readers who aren't familiar won't really have any idea of the genesis of them.

Lambau88 commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/15/18 10:19 AM
Great pictures in The Post! I was reading the article on my phone and thought, “They really need some JD Land photos in here.” Then, bam!

7/14/18 10:07 PM
A big WashPost piece now up about the impact of Nats Park on the surrounding neighborhood. Some of the photos may look familiar: link
(And welcome to the new people wandering through thanks to the links. And apologies if the site is slow--it's not used to actually having a lot of people on it at once.)

7/14/18 1:57 PM
@202- sounds nice!

We were lucky enough to get some free tickets to Fanfest, so we’ll check that out tomorrow.

For fun I looked and the cheapest seats on Stubhub for the game are about $315... the same seats you can get for $5 for a Nats game. Wowzers!

7/14/18 1:13 PM
I just went over to the Hatoba "pop-in" to get myself a Japanese hot dog for lunch and the doors are locked and nobody home. It would have been nice to at least put a sign on the door with the hours...

7/13/18 6:12 PM
MAP: 65 DC bars will stay open till 4 AM during All-Star Week, because everyone’s an all-star at 4 AM. Via Washingtonian: link

7/13/18 4:51 PM
A Chesapeake Bay crab-focused food truck is going to set up shop at the Yards Park Marina for one week, starting Sunday, says City Paper, perhaps as a prelude to an eventual location alongside the perhaps eventual location of the Living Classrooms Foundation: link

JES commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/13/18 2:35 PM
We're about to be swimming in tacos and tequila once this and Mission open to join Agua...

7/13/18 12:25 PM
Here's" target=blank>link a rundown from the Capitol Riverfront BID of All-Star festivities, including some bar/restaurant specials. It also says that Mission will open tomorrow (Saturday, July 14) at noon, presumably with its "preview menu." (FYI, there's a preview event there tonight, for those who may wander by and see activity.)

bdj commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/13/18 10:51 AM
That Ramen bar announcement got me really excited yesterday. Great upgrade for the neighborhood from 100 Montaditos!

Also, like the signs and illuminating the yards sculpture they've added to the neighborhood. Funny they waited until the last possible moment before the All Star game.

bdj commenting on Walters Sports Bar Coming to South Capitol and N in 2019
7/13/18 10:06 AM
The amount of people in Novel will make it easy for them to find tenants.

@JES Bonchon is 50 feet away and it's doing just fine.

7/13/18 8:50 AM
Nah, not when all the amateurs are in the neighborhood. :-)

Soon, though, I promise. Except that now it's summer and everyone's skipping town.

NavyYardGuy commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/13/18 7:57 AM
JD land Happy Hour during All star wknd?

202_cyclist commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/12/18 11:08 PM
Dude— I’m not worried about the Tuesday commute because I bike to work. It is always pleasant biking.

7/12/18 9:46 PM
JD, I’m not worried about the Tuesday commute because I work until 9. Life as a public servant!

7/12/18 6:59 PM
Well Half Street doesn't look great but the renderings they're hanging up as we speak look pretty nice. There's a bunch of pallets of color run stuff sitting at NJ and N right now. I also think they installed this info kiosk today? Seems pretty handy. I hope they keep it around post ASG.

7/12/18 4:05 PM
Used to be a neighborhood hasn't "arrived" until it got a cell phone store. I think the new criteria is finally getting a ramen joint. So, yay, we've arrived!

7/12/18 4:01 PM
Anydee, thanks, will fix. (and welcome!)

anydee commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/12/18 3:39 PM
I think your description of the 5K race is reversed... they have the race starting by South Cap/Potomac, going across into Anacostia, then winding around and ending over by the Play Ball park.

link

7/12/18 3:21 PM
My wife said that the new kinetic sculpture kind of looks like a jellyfish. I agree.

7/12/18 2:22 PM
Just curious how many people here are volunteering for the All-Star week activities?

7/12/18 2:10 PM
Via Washingtonian, the team behind Daikaya will open a Ramen shop called Hatoba in the 100 Montaditos space on Tingey Street. And of course there will be an All-Star popup, with "Japanese hot dogs." It is expected to open in 2019. link

ttassa commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/12/18 1:32 PM
Anybody have a pic of the kinetic sculpture?

dude commenting on Looking at the Neighborhood from Nats Park, 2018 Version
7/12/18 10:10 AM
What a difference a decade makes! What a treasure this site is to have all of these comparisons. So good!

7/12/18 10:08 AM
Monday night *and* Tuesday night. Monday night is the Home Run Derby, Tuesday is the actual game.

7/12/18 10:07 AM
I’m excited by all this except that I’m sure my traffic coming home on Monday night is going to be treacherous. I hope if/when the All Star game comes back around in 15-25 years that I’ll be able to afford tickets!

jdc commenting on Let the All-Starring Begin--Neighborhood Schedule, Closures, Etc.
7/12/18 8:42 AM
Are there any live webcams in JDLand? Is that even a thing anymore? I would think with all of the tall-ish buildings that there would be numerous vantage points to check out developments in real time.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed