Recent Comments

SC1100
Completed
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

walt commenting on Tidbits: Lazy Hazy Heat-Emergency Days of Summer
7/19/19 2:13 PM
Anybody have any hints/advice for going to watch the Apollo 50 display tonight or tomorrow (Fri/Sat)? Best place to view? Bike or walk? Any restrictions or security BS?

walt commenting on Tidbits: Lazy Hazy Heat-Emergency Days of Summer
7/19/19 2:12 PM
Tried El Bebe last night and I was FLOORED by how good the cauliflower taco was. And the blackened fish taco.

202_cyclist commenting on Tidbits: Lazy Hazy Heat-Emergency Days of Summer
7/19/19 1:49 PM
JD, thank you for the updates.

Over in SWTLQTC-territory, there is a construction blimp that is tethered to the 7-11 parking lot and a water truck there. Is this for the So. Capitol/Frederick Douglass bridge replacement or is there a development in the South Capitol corridor that is imminent?

RMP commenting on Tidbits: Lazy Hazy Heat-Emergency Days of Summer
7/19/19 1:27 PM
Agree that UPS is a solid addition for that space.

There is also some activity in the former Bower sales office. Looks like they built an interior room in what used to be the model.

smitty2k1 commenting on Tidbits: Lazy Hazy Heat-Emergency Days of Summer
7/19/19 12:22 PM
UPS Store is a VERY welcomed addition!

JD commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/17/19 9:33 AM
I know, I've gone AWOL. Been traveling, plus it's hot. :-)

But will pass along that I see a bunch of approved permits in the past few days for the Hatoba space.

conngs0 commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/16/19 5:22 PM
I second your motion, CJ!

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/16/19 3:16 PM
As a pedestrian, I say we give sidewalk scooter jockeys a taste of their own medicine and limit them to the SE/SW freeway.

conngs0 commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/16/19 2:25 PM
Walt, I like where your head is at. Before the folks currently living on Virginia Avenue get too comfortable after the CSX construction, we should definitely knock down the freeway and redevelop that entire expanse! In all honesty, I'm skeptical that this would happen, even in the next one hundred years (I'm still sad that the Metro 2040 plan isn't happening).

walt commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/16/19 11:03 AM
Is there any possibility that the SE/SW freeway will be removed in my lifetime? Let's say I live another 100 years.

walt commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/16/19 11:01 AM
I was wondering if I was just old...I am still waiting for the 75 cent beers to come back. Hell, we used to get 75 cent PITCHERS on Thursday nights.

202_cyclist commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/11/19 10:59 AM
Bom dia! We recently returned from a vacation in Portugal where the beers were 1.5 - 2 Euros at most restaurants and bottles of wine, even at nice restaurants, were 8 - 10 Euros.

Speaking of restaurants in the neighborhood, we went to Walters on Tuesday and were impressed with both the food and service.

RMP commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/11/19 9:39 AM
Ice Cream Jubilee is making a 100-foot long Sundae on July 21st. link

RMP commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/11/19 9:38 AM
Opening night at Schilling was overall very good. They have some kinks to work out, as does any new restaurant. I was floored to see the beer prices (technically 2 beer, 1 cider) were $12/$14/$14. That's roughly double what you get across the street at Bluejacket. Maybe that will reduce or they will offer some kind of half off happy hour at some point. If forced to choose an Arris dining establishment I would probably opt for Chloe over Schilling but of course need to give Schilling another try before drawing any definite conclusions.

jdc commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/11/19 8:39 AM
I saw the pricing - seems extraordinarily high, even if the food is very good.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/10/19 9:31 PM
Dined at Shilling tonight. If the oysters, gnocchi, soft shell crab and corn cake dessert I had are any indication, Y to-the U to-the M!

My wallet’s a little lighter. But it was well worth it. A great addition to the neighborhood!

Ampersand commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/10/19 4:36 PM
Last Friday my girlfriend and I were walking past Shilling on our way to Conte's and stopped to admire the herb planters. While we stood there, a guy passed by walking a dog and stopped to chat with us about the restaurant (and planters). I didn't realize it until reading the Eater preview, but it was Reid Shilling! Given the dog, I wonder if he's a neighborhood resident. He was super friendly, and mentioned that they expected to open this week. (Obviously I failed at promptly reporting to JDLand, oops.) I hope the restaurant is successful; it looks beautiful.

202_cyclist commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/10/19 3:22 PM
DCCyclist365-- YES! How do we get this done. Also, a whitewater park like the one in Boise would be fantastic!

link

DCCyclist365 commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/10/19 1:25 PM
@JNB i'd love to see that space under the freeway converted into an urban mountain bike park, similar to the I-5 Colonnade trails in Seattle: link Granted, we don't have the elevation change for much downhill, but it would still be feasible to build artificial berms, ramps and hills using the existing land.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/10/19 12:39 PM
@jdc: The reservation app only went live a few days ago. There was a Washingtonian online menu preview. I assume the Day One menu will be posted in the window and online today. I’m a block away but will wait until I head there at 5.

JNB commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/10/19 9:32 AM
Does anyone know what the plan is under the highway across from Wholefoods? I thought part of the construction project CSX was going to do something with the space. It is a mess again just like before they closed the walkway before the tunnel project.

jdc commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/10/19 8:15 AM
Unfortunately, I am never in JD land around dinner time, so I miss eating at restaurants like Shilling. If I lived in the area, then it would be easy to walk past and see what's on the menu, then keep walking if nothing caught my fancy. But what seems odd to me is that Shilling takes reservations - so you'd make a reservation for days/weeks ahead of time, but have no idea what you'll be able to choose from. That just strikes me as odd.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/9/19 6:27 PM
@jdc: Do like me. Get real hungry tomorrow, walk in ravenous, open the menu and go on an adventure!

jdc commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/9/19 4:07 PM
Is there still no menu for Shilling?

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/8/19 8:59 PM
Popped into Shilling this afternoon as they were pulling the paper off the windows and asked, “When can a hungry neighbor come in and get something to eat around here?”

The reply? “Wednesday, July 10 at 5pm!” Is

Who’s with me? Nom, nom . . .

jdc commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/8/19 4:50 PM
Is it me, or is Shilling really that small?

conngs0 commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/8/19 1:59 PM
I'm in favor of anything that reduces the number of chicken bones on the ground. Zero class to just throw those about.

Thanks to dcgent for sharing the link to the Shilling Canning Company update. I'm excited for this one. That brick oven looks pretty awesome!

walt commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/8/19 1:24 PM
Update on Philly Wing Fry being gone: my dog is no longer finding chicken bones every 2 feet. So that's a plus!

dcgent commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/8/19 11:47 AM
Eater has pics and more on Shilling restaurant link

freddiking commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/4/19 11:12 AM
This is a nice and informative post thanks for the information!

jdc commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/1/19 10:17 AM
Shade truly makes all the difference, especially if there is a breeze, too. It makes being outdoors SO much more pleasant.

walt commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
7/1/19 9:04 AM
This weekend's Smorgasburg was fantastic, although I think the BID should invest in a few flagpoles and some solar sails. It was so hot out there and we were just baking in the sun, but it was delightful where there was shade.

202_cyclist commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/30/19 9:46 PM
We were on vacation (or holiday as the Brits say) in Portugal for th me last two weeks, so this might be old news but it looks like the site of the new DDOT HQ now has a tower crane. Exciting times for the neighborhood!

Gamble Rogers commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/29/19 3:40 PM
@MRB

Sounds like someone is trying to settle scores based on the killing just blocks away. Whether current NNTNY (Neighborhood Next to the Navy Yard) residents are a) involved or b) targeted, all residents should be calling for this “stuff” to stop.

MPD shouldn’t have a hard time determining who was involved. Why not ask them what they know so far? Doesn’t sound “random.”

MRB commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/27/19 10:16 AM
There were a series of gunshots last night on the block in front of the Capper Community Center . The police were going door to door, and said that nobody was injured. Has anyone else seen any information?

walt commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/27/19 9:33 AM
Excellent JD!
We really shouldn't be so harsh on the website because there are no negatives in kelvin.

JD commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/26/19 12:55 PM
Looks like MRP Realty is making moves toward starting its residential building at 41 L Street, SE, on the Navy Yard Metro station "Chiller plant" site on the southwest corner of Half and L. Permit applications are in process for shoring/sheeting/excavation and the full building permit and a raze permit has been filed for what's currently on the site. Here's my past posts on the site, going back a long ways through WMATA's multiple attempts to hand the site to a developer: link And note that this is separate from 37 L, where digging is underway for a sliver of an apartment building: link Both are expected to be 11 stories tall.

caphillguy commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/26/19 7:34 AM
As long as we're hating on The Kelvin, I'll take this time to be pedantic - Kelvins are not considered degrees, so the degree symbol in front of the K should not be there.

conngs0 commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/25/19 5:14 PM
Ha! Yep. That doesn't mean it wasn't funny!

maximillion commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/25/19 4:43 PM
Nice JD. I think the joke may have flown over conngs' head by a few degrees.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed