Recent Comments

Southeast Blvd. ('15)
11th St. Bridges ('15)
Parc Riverside ('14)
Twelve12/Yards ('14)
Lumber Shed ('13)
Boilermaker Shops ('13)
Camden South Capitol ('13)
Canal Park ('12)
Capitol Quarter ('12)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

Shogungts commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/30/17 10:30 AM
@Walt:

"And a garage door instead of windows that can be opened up on the really nice days so that everyone gets to sit outside even if they're technically inside."

I can't figure out why more DC places don't do this. Either that or windows that are more like folding french doors and open all the way to the floor (or at least close to it). I understand that outside seating is at a premium due to it being an expensive city and needing to maximize use, but to your point, it's like you are sitting outside even if you are not when they have this option.

Bluejacket has the garage door, but never opens it. Whatever The Chesapeake Room is called now has windows like that, but no one wants to go there.

malatesta commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/29/17 8:54 AM
202_cyclist: fishing tournament, yes, fish fry, no. Mercury poisoning is not so much fun. Maybe my grandkids will be able to eat fish they catch someday, but not me.

202_cyclist commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/29/17 3:08 AM
I think the award for the slowest construction has to go to the new WASA headquarters building. They've been working on it for months and, at most, it is 3 1/2 feet above ground.

Also, when I was running yesterday along the river, I saw several large fish jump. Forget the JD Land happy hr, we need the JD Land fishing tournament and fish fry!

walt commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/28/17 3:39 PM
202_cyclist -- thanks for the twitter link. By gods, what is the average age of our first responders? I'm no spring chicken, but that looks like an AARP convention!

4/28/17 3:37 PM
What I'd like to see in the retail spaces:
1. Some fun home furnishings store -- the kind of place where if you're looking to spend some money on something completely unnecessary, you can do it.
2. A mani/pedi place where BOTH services can be done at the same time. (I love the massage chairs, but can't stand spending 2 hours of my life in a salon on a regular basis)
3. A tattoo parlor where you can watch the tattoos being done over CCTV.
4. A bar with only one TV, at least one shuffleboard-bowling game, pinball, darts, trivia, etc. And a garage door instead of windows that can be opened up on the really nice days so that everyone gets to sit outside even if they're technically inside.
5. Vintage & thrift stores
6. Art Gallery
7. Bespoke clothing shop
8. Bespoke shoes. I cannot find a decent pair of shoes that fits my bizarre feet!
9. Pop-up space for sometimes-vendors
10. Restaurant space with room for private parties at affordable prices.

That's all I can think of.

JNB commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/27/17 3:22 PM
Stanton will be announcing any day. I wonder which will open first Trader Joes or Wholefoods? The race is on.

Just so you all know I heard that the Monument project is indeed condos not rentals as of now.

GoNavy commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/27/17 2:21 PM
@walt Thanks for the info. I've been checking CHC since that post from the beginning of the month and haven't seen anything! What would you all like to see in those retail spaces?

4/27/17 1:36 PM
CHC recently had a post that included some information (jd, I hope this is okay to post a link to another site)

link
---(quote from the CHC article below)
Eastbanc partner Stanton Development is expected to announce the retail leases for the north building of the Hine Project in mid-April. There are four street level retail spaces in the north building plus one large lower level retail space below grade. One of the street level spaces will be reserved for two “incubator” retail tenants – local businesses who have not graduated to independent brick and mortar status – which means a total of six retail tenants for the project. Stanton characterized the tenants as a mix of food and non-food retail.

Stanton is still working on leasing the retail space for the south building which will accommodate as many at ten street level retail tenants, plus a day care center at the corner of 8th and Pennsylvania and a Trader Joe’s.

4/27/17 9:32 AM
Has anyone heard anything about what retail is going to be at the new Eastern Market Hine School development? Rumors were Stanton Development was going to announce the leases that will be joining Trader Joes mid-April. Does the DC government keep a database on these things so we can do some snooping?

RMP commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/26/17 10:48 PM
Whaleys Rose Garden was open tonight and it was hopping. Free Chopt next Tuesday.

4/26/17 6:05 PM
Here's DC Fire's Twitter post of this morning's training exercise. It was a simulated coordinated terrorist attack.

link

JD commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/26/17 5:19 PM
I think this particular classroom is aware that the teacher has a video camera on them at all times. :)

Not feeling the posting vibe these days, but you guys are doing well on your own. Carry on.

Section314 commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/26/17 5:14 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this thread feels like when you were in grade school and the teacher left the room and the entire class is sitting there by themselves with no idea when the teacher is coming back? That was always very disconcerting because half the kids would try to be very good and half would end up being very bad. So far, the deportment on the site has been admirable.

jdc commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/26/17 5:00 PM
I think the more likely partner would be hotels, who have larger capacity open rooms. Beyond some community rooms, I cannot imagine most apartment buildings could handle even 250 random folks showing up after an emergency.

4/26/17 1:11 PM
When I was running this morning, I saw that the DC Metropolitan Police Department and other agencies were holding a mock emergency evacuation (complete with an announcement on the address system) at Nats Park. Hopefully they won't need to use the training but it is good to know that our emergency responders are practicing for this.

I was wondering, however, if some of the neighboring residential buildings or hotels have agreements with the Nationals as evacuation/triage sites if there was an emergency at Nats Park and 30,000 - 40,000 fans needed to evacuate.

4/26/17 11:07 AM
I always assumed a Christmas opening for WH - right around time for holiday meals.

4/26/17 11:00 AM
Has anyone heard when the bridge replacement will begin? The article says Spring 2017 but I have not heard anything lately.

link

4/25/17 1:38 PM
Regarding the Agora, WH Smith certainly turns the typical construction model ('time is money') on its head. While most construction projects are built as quickly as is feasible, Smith takes their time. That model seems to work for them, I guess. Whole Foods may be open by Christmas, it seems.

conngs0 commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/25/17 9:31 AM
Re: Il Parco, I agree with keith18 that the pizza is actually decent - I even have occasional craving for their pizza diavola! I know I'm preaching to the choir re: the restaurant group, but it just doesn't seem like Il Parco ever really had a chance. If you search Il Parco on Google, the Park Tavern menu and website still come up. The updated web presence should have been the management company's first order of business, no? While the folks working there have always been pleasant and professional in my experience, they're chronically understaffed (same with Willie's). And so many missed opportunities to ingratiate themselves to the neighborhood. I understand the desire to close on New Years, but the ice rink was swamped! How easy would it have been to set up a stand with some beverages and maybe a limited menu (perhaps with samples!)? Anyway, I really hope they turn it around because I still think it has promised, but I give the half-baked Il Parco until the end of the Nats' season.

4/25/17 8:29 AM
Signage is up for Steadfast Supply in the old H&C space. Looks like it could open as early as next month.

Shilling Canning Co. has a liquor license notice posted in their window. Looks like they're asking for "live entertainment on premise" as part of their application. Not sure what they have in mind with that, or if they'll actually go until 2am and 3am as indicated, but good luck neighbors on that side of the building.

keith18 commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/24/17 8:46 PM
"Lastly, starting a pool to take odds on how much longer Il Parco survives. Every time I go by there there are 2-4 people inside, rarely any more. Ice rink traffic was limited this year too. That's a decent location for the right concept with the right management. Shame it continues to be wasted."

It's been a running joke for me and my wife about how long that place can last. There's never anyone in there and I'm shocked it has lasted this long. Ironically, the pizza isn't horrible and it is way better than Park Tavern ever was. (Though that is an incredibly low bar.) I once saw a group of parents order Pizza Boli for their kids while they were ice skating--Il Parko couldn't even pull in the most obvious group of customers ever.

I do agree; the right concept should do well there. I'd think maybe just simple burgers and hot dogs would be fine. Some solid and fairly priced lunch specials should be able to pull in enough DOT business to be okay.

NavyYardNittany commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/24/17 8:30 PM
Tidbits from a walk around the 'hood tonight and random thoughts:

- Parc Riverside phase two will start construction in May or June, I'm told. That's the lot bordering Half between L and K. Walls at the west end of the current building will be adjoining, though there won't be any pass-through.

- Build-out at the Salt Line seems to be progressing more rapidly. What looks to be an outside bar is coming along, open shed-style structure with a tin roof, and plumbing/wiring being run in the middle where the bar presumably will be. The inside is actually relatively small - most of the space is taken up by the bar, which looks to have a tile finish around the lower section, evoking a seashell-like look. Limited seating otherwise, one smallish section on the south wall looks to be the main area. Assume they will maximize outdoor space.

Not in love with what I saw of the architecture - they've built in some low ceilings in areas, and are using half-moon windows above regular residential-style windows. I'm guessing that they are going for a seafood-shack theme, but as of right now it looks like a hybrid of a Palm Harbor mobile home and a bad Ocean City tourist trap. (Being a bit Judgy McJudgerson here, might look great when thy finish it up. Maybe.)

- Going to be interesting to see how Dacha uses that outside space next door to the Salt Line. Whoever decided to authorize those giant metal sculptures directly in the middle of the retail/restaurant outside footprint might be having second thoughts. Either way, that area will be buzzing when those two and All-Purpose open up.

- With regard to Agora, glad someone else noticed the painfully slow pace there. Looking at switching buildings later this summer, and have been watching for floorplan/pricing updates. Nadda. It does look like they are working on interior framing/plumbing/electrical, but the pace just seems very slow as compared to say One Hill South. I'm also impatient for the WF to open so I can stop being frustrated at the meat and veggie situation at the world's worst Harris Teeter.

- Lastly, starting a pool to take odds on how much longer Il Parco survives. Every time I go by there there are 2-4 people inside, rarely any more. Ice rink traffic was limited this year too. That's a decent location for the right concept with the right management. Shame it continues to be wasted.

4/24/17 7:53 PM
I've seen them doing work on the roof amenity space and on the balconies in the last week or two, but it does seem slow going.

Chaifetz10 commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/24/17 6:29 PM
Most likely interior build out is going on. Electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc etc. It may not be visible from the exterior but they're most likely making progress on the inside.

bmooremsu commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/24/17 5:02 PM
Does anyone have any insight into what is possibly holding up construction at Agora (the Whole Foods building)? Construction has been at, what looks like, a near standstill for weeks. What gives?

4/24/17 1:20 PM
Re: rental vs. homeownership
Thanks everyone...great information shared. I learned a few things today!

4/24/17 11:09 AM
In other non-black helicopter news, it looks like Chopt is about to open soon.

4/24/17 11:07 AM
@CJBabyDaddy:

“Helicopters? C’mere. I’ll show you helicopters.”

SWag commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/24/17 8:35 AM
Out of curiosity - which do you guys think IS more profitable for a developer (in DC in 2017). Building a condo (assuming it will sell out) or an apartment building (assuming it is fully leased)?

CJBabyDaddy commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/24/17 12:09 AM
Just turn yourself in, 202_cyclist, so everyone else can get some sleep.

4/23/17 8:14 PM
Not to be paranoid, but what's up with the helicopter circling the neighborhood all evening?

Westnorth commenting on 2017 Development Update: Focus Shifts To By the Ballpark, At Last
4/23/17 2:36 PM
Remember that developers ultimately build what the banks want, not what end users want. (Or even what developers want.)

Why not build condos?
- Lending is tight. Construction lenders are very wary of condos, having seen their compatriots go up in flames in 2008. Because there aren't many condos nearby, there aren't many comps to point to.
- The few new condos out there are in small buildings, financed by local banks that are more adventurous than nationals, or in megaprojects whose foreign investors have a greater risk appetite. (Most JDLand buildings are neither small nor huge.)
- Condo buyers aren't a sure bet. Between student loans and $100K down payments, many DC millennials don't qualify for mortgages. They could get FHA loans, but not in under-construction buildings.
- Developers and GCs are afraid of construction defects lawsuits, which can be filed years after the fact.

Why build apartments instead?
- Construction lenders were quite happy to make apartment loans a few years ago, when many people were moving to DC.
- Pension funds will pay top dollar for shiny new apartment buildings, which are a much better way to earn 5% over 20 years than a Treasury bond.
Thus, new condos are in short supply nationwide -- but all of this goes double for JDLand, since most of the area's housing happens to have been built in an era subject to the above market dynamics. The shine's off the new-apartment market, so the number of deliveries drops way off after 2018. However, now everyone's pulling back on lending for all buildings.

4/20/17 1:55 PM
Thanks, JD. I hope that your out-of-pocket status is a consequence of doing something enjoyable and relaxing!

I agree with NavyYardNittany that the question for the developer of whether to go with a condo, rental, commercial, etc. building is a complicated one. But either way the developer is approaching the matter from the perspective of self interest. Sometimes that's tied to the long-term health of the community but not always.

It's also complicated from the standpoint of the zoning commission, the ANC, etc., who are ostensibly supposed to prioritize the long-term health of the neighborhood. But even then these entities have to take into consideration short-term goals of spurring development of some sort. So I'm not per se opposed to allowing developers to change their projects from condos to rentals (or vice versa), but I am interested in learning about what the zoning commission takes into consideration when they approve such requests.

On Hugh & Crye, maybe they just couldn't hang in there long enough for the man salon to open up and give them some business?

4/20/17 1:33 PM
@SWAG re: H&C

I like Hugh & Crye and think their approach to sizing is novel and welcomed -instead of S, M, L or neck sizes, they price by height (short, average, tall) combined with body type (skinny, slim, athletic, broad). Once you know what size you are, their stuff is great, but...

That was an odd location for them. It's not a place that would get a lot of men's clothing retail shopping and if you are going to use it primarily as a warehouse to fulfill online orders, why not do that somewhere cheaper. Which is apparently the same conclusion they came to opening a warehouse location and keeping a retail location in Gtown.

4/20/17 10:11 AM
(I'm out of pocket, but am reading along, and you guys are doing just fine without me :-) )

4/20/17 9:19 AM
I don't imagine the developers are worried about the condos selling. A large chunk of those condos in the Yards will sell before the building is complete.

4/19/17 9:39 PM
It's more complex than "developers chasing money". Apartments aren't *necessarily* more profitable than condos, but consider the factors in play here:

- DC has a highly transient population, and that's particularly true in this neighborhood with strong military and political presence. Many condo buildings are 40-50% renters, not owner-residents

- The purchase price of property is driven up by high demand in a new, hot area in one of the more expensive cities in the country, driving condo costs up even more

- Many DC residents are younger and have not owned previously; they have the discretionary income to rent a nice place, particularly when sharing with a roommate or two, but not the savings for a down-payment on a much more expensive condo. I rent a two bedroom in one of the newer buildings in the neighborhood with a great view of the Capitol. My rent is high, but affordable for me. This building was originally designed as condos and converted to rentals. There's no way I would be able to afford to live here if it were a condo. Would have sold for close to a million or more.

Lots of factors in this. What people seem to be saying is not just "I want more ownership opportunities", but "I want more affordable ownership opportunities". In which case DC isn't exactly the place to look.

4/19/17 2:33 PM
The only thing I'll point out is that I am sure the opposite is true, that there are neighborhoods where nothing exists but places you have to buy and that there are people who would prefer the ability to rent and be flexible...I guess the counter to that point is that in those places there exists the ability to sublet from the owner....

4/19/17 1:55 PM
JD was wonderful enough to post this spreadsheet of units counts last July link and it sounds like the 200 from JBG Half need to now be moved to the rental column?

I get that developers are just chasing the money and can't really argue with that. But it doesn't make it any less frustrating for folks who are actually trying to put down long term roots in the neighborhood. I can tolerate renting for maybe a few more years, but at some point will need to move on.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed