Recent Comments

225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

JES commenting on Shortest Post Ever: Roti Open, Chix Closed
6/28/17 3:04 PM
It's probably Due South Dockside, because I'm pretty sure Nicoletta is destined to be a myth forever...

How does that arrangement work? Like, did Nicoletta sign a lease? Does Forest City just keep that space "on hold" for Nicoletta for free, or have they been paying rent all this time for some reason?

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Shortest Post Ever: Roti Open, Chix Closed
6/28/17 1:13 AM
Thanks, RMP, for the The Bower sign update. In May, we were told to expect sales to begin in mid-July, and wondered how long it would take for "Spring 2017" to be edited.

JD commenting on Shortest Post Ever: Roti Open, Chix Closed
6/27/17 10:32 PM
It might also be Due South Dockside.

malatesta commenting on Shortest Post Ever: Roti Open, Chix Closed
6/27/17 10:25 PM
The wife and I walked through yards park after grabbing a beer at Bluejacket. There are two permits posted on the lower kiosk, one of which refers to a new restaurant in existing shell and core.

JD commenting on Shortest Post Ever: Roti Open, Chix Closed
6/27/17 10:00 PM
I guess the Chix on 14th is closed, too. Quite a flame out.

RMP commenting on Shortest Post Ever: Roti Open, Chix Closed
6/27/17 9:15 PM
Cosmopolitan Nail Salon is inching closer to opening (I still doubt they'll make it by July 1 but we shall see).

Juice Laundry and 18-8 build outs continue. It looks like they've both still got a bit of work to do.

Bower removed the "spring" language from their website.

Evo is still (temporarily?) shuttered.

Bardo continues to Bardo.

jdc commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 8:49 PM
I've said it before, but two beer gardens outside my windows would be an absolute deal breaker. Even if the rent was less than half of what Dock 79 charges.

jdc commenting on Shortest Post Ever: Roti Open, Chix Closed
6/27/17 8:48 PM
Aww JD! We were just 4 comments away from 100!

JD commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 4:59 PM
Just wait until Dacha gets there!

(okay, I'll put up an open thread, this is getting a little long)

Chaifetz10 commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 4:58 PM
While we moved out of DC a few months ago, we still get ALL of the messages from the Dock79 residential group emails (not by choice... once you're on one of those things you're stuck forever because people just copy and paste). Apparently Bardo hasn't exactly been a good (or even neutral) neighbor and has had many many noise complaints. And not just the expected nightlife type noise, but moving their speakers so they only face Dock79, police called, and Kettler had a sit down meeting type noise complaints.

How they see any business by being so abrasive to people astounds me.

Ok, returning to my lurking from St. Louis ways again!

202_cyclist commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 4:34 PM
@willinrm:

Not only is there noise, but there are harmful health consequences of living right next to the highway.

link

willinrm commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 4:14 PM
Does anyone know why DOT (or whichever correct party) doesn't put up sound barriers on i-395 by chance? There are so many ppl moving to this area now and the interstate causes so much unnecessary noise pollution. It can be deafening at times depending where you are along it.

6/27/17 4:06 PM
Here's an article about the power plant from a few years ago: link .

While on the topic of facilities on the other side of I-395, I would really like to see the former Congressional page dorm that has been vacant for nearly a decade sold and redeveloped into housing. This is a ten minute walk from two metro stations. The federal government could earn revenue from selling this, DC could get another taxable property, and we would gain much-needed housing, not to mention all of the environmental benefits of having more people able to live in a walkable, transit-accessible neighborhood.

malatesta commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 3:58 PM
In re: the capitol power plant I believe it is still in the process of transitioning to a 100% natural gas cogeneration plant, but still maintains coal burning boilers in the meantime. These are only active on a few peak heating days a year, and weren't, IIRC active at all this past winter.

GoNavy commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 2:26 PM
@202 That's great news! I wonder if Nioletta pizza is still going down there? I sure hope so.

link

jdc commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 2:13 PM
In addition to A1 tires news, signage is up on the taxi dispatch on L and nj Ave saying it's for sale or lease. Add in the charter school property and this entire block between first and New Jersey and L and K is going to significantly change.

6/27/17 11:30 AM
There was significant construction work this morning at the retail stalls/kiosks at Yards Park. I asked one of the workers and he said he expects some of these businesses to open in a month.

jdc commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 9:41 AM
Below ground fitness center for 99 M? That seems a shame.

NavyYardNittany commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/27/17 12:28 AM
Funny, just had this conversation yesterday while on the One Hill South rooftop, from whence you can see the pile of coal behind that Capitol maintenance building (between 70 Yards and the McDonald's site). Not obvious from the street, but there's a small side track I'm assuming brings the coal in from cars on the main track, and a pile of it in the back right corner. We were speculating as to whether that property would ever be developed - there's some kind of well/pipehead back there aslo, perhaps a tie-in for the natural gas supply? View from OHS is spectacular. One of the top 2-3 nicest apartment buildings in the city.

Shogungts commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 8:46 PM
@JD: "The Capitol Power Plant is a fossil-fuel burning power plant which provides steam and chilled water for the United States Capitol, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress and 19 other buildings in the Capitol Complex. Located at 25 E St SE in southeast Washington, D.C., it is the only coal-burning power plant in the District of Columbia, though it mostly uses natural gas."

From Wikipedia and it goes on to say that it only uses about 5% coal as of 2011.

JD commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 4:47 PM
Not in a position to Google right now, but I'm not sure that plant is burning coal anymore anyway. (I know Nancy Pelosi was trying to have it stopped some years ago.)

JES commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 4:30 PM
@JNB, nice find. That bit about finding the old tree stump was amusing.

@walt, we've lived in Velocity for 5 years and haven't ever had issues with ash, smell, or anything else relating to those smokestacks.

walt commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 4:08 PM
@jdc: Can't speak to the first floor construction, but the rooftop had multiple levels, so it seemed much bigger than most and each area seemed totally private. Many separate areas to do different things. No part wasted. Very very well thought out. A small indoor space with a few couches, a decent sized pool (not for serious swimmers, but long enough for good fun), a private area for grilling with a large table, a raised concrete area for hot-tubbing, one or two grassy seating areas, a booth type table, plenty of great views.

This is the first time I've been on a roof that faces other high-rises. It's like a party in the air up there. There were three other buildings visible, and tons of people out on the roof having fun!

The view of the Capitol and Library of Congress domes were spectacular, and it looked as if nothing else could be built to obstruct this view, but I've thought that before so who knows.

The only thing I question is what it would be like when the coal plant is burning coal. Any thoughts from high-rise dwellers? Have you ever noticed the coal ash when the plant is burning coal?

RMP commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 2:30 PM
Those notices were still up on Evo as of Sunday night.

My complaint about Bardo wasn't so much the $7 (Bluejacket has desensitized me to beer prices) but the quality of what you get for $7.

willinrm commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 2:20 PM
The beer is horrid at Bardo, it is worse than any homebrew's that i have had; they brew it all outdoors how can you have quality control and consistency? I'd only go to Bardo if you want a hipster day on the water under a bridge; in that case it is perfect. Do NOT go for the beer, i would prefer a light drinking beer i.e. budlight over their selection. (disclaimer: I am care way too much about beer...)

greb22 commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 1:57 PM
I really don't like bardo the beer is terrible. I read about how bad it was but a friend insited I go so I did and I can confirm the beer is in fact terrible. $7 is also to much to pay for nasty beer.

jdc commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 1:03 PM
Roti fully open; Chix closed (from what I can see). Evo...anyone else?

JD commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/26/17 1:00 PM
By the way, I'm lurking, just have been in Wyoming and general environs dealing with stuff that needs to be dealt with. Is Roti now fully open? And Chix is indeed closed? Any progress at Evo? (trying to keep up!)

Shogungts commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/23/17 10:51 PM
@RMP " $7 is too much to pay for essentially home brew."

I agree, I really want to like Bardo as I went to their place in Arlington (Dr Dremos), their other location off Bladensberg Road, and like the atmosphere at their current place, but almost every beer I have had from them at their new location is a disappointment. Most of the time I their beer to be way too flat.

6/23/17 6:10 PM
Excellent news about A-1 Tires. What do you think will go there? I didn't realize that the pool for 909 Capitol Yards wasn't above that business. It looks like a new owner could build perhaps two floors on that site.

6/23/17 5:54 PM
@RMP-- things are expensive on the waterfront. I enjoyed Bardo the one time we went there.

RMP commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/23/17 4:23 PM
I don't understand the appeal of Bardo. Bad PR aside, $7 is too much to pay for essentially home brew. It's not like we are lacking for drinking establishments in the neighborhood anymore.

JES commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/23/17 3:55 PM
Finally! Annoyingly though, the article's behind the paywall, does anyone subscribe? Is there any speculation on what the buyer is gonna do with the property?

JH_105 commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/23/17 3:33 PM
Just got a WBJ email that the owner of A-1 tires at 1st & K (abutting 909 Cap Yards and Scarlet Oak) finally sold. There goes another holdout.

JES commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/23/17 3:04 PM
I still don't understand how the Bardo dude gets away with being such a jerk.

snakegriffin commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/23/17 11:47 AM
Man, those Bardo folks are skilled at public relations! link

jdc commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/23/17 9:26 AM
@walt - did they say what is happening on the first floor? It's a construction mess with seemingly little work going on. It definitely makes the building look like no one lives there. What makes it so amazing? The view or amenities?

@stacycloyd - wow. That is surprising. I've walked past - admittedly during lunch - and the building does not seem that occupied. Guess I should peer into windows more often haha.

stacycloyd commenting on Dacha, Punch Bowl Social, and Other Retail Catching Up
6/22/17 3:44 PM
My parents took a tour of Dock 79 last weekend and were told it was about 90% full (I forget the exact percentage) as well. The vacant units they were shown mostly seemed to be very close to Salt Line's patio and All-Purpose's forthcoming roof deck, so I imagine they are harder to lease.

6/22/17 2:25 PM
@jdc-- a friend's brother is moving into ORE and my friend noted that the building is 90% full.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed