Recent Comments

Nat'l Community Church
Factory 202/Yards
SC1100
Completed
Thompson Hotel ('20)
West Half ('19)
Novel South Capitol ('19)
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/12/20 8:04 PM
Looks like the final piece of the final arch of the New Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge goes up Thursday, August 13th. If you want to watch the historic moment from the comfort of whatever you sit on while staring at a PC, tablet or phone screen, click on this link for info:

link

GarfieldPark commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/9/20 8:28 PM
Wagtime has now turned into Dogtopia? New owners or what?

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/7/20 8:19 PM
To my fellow New FDMB arch geeks: As of COB Friday, August 7, nine of the twelve pieces of the final center arch are up and the tenth is on site. According to the New FDMB Instagram page, an announcement will be made next week (Aug 9-16) regarding the date on which the final piece is expected to go up. Sign up there or be square.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/7/20 3:07 PM
La Famosa (1st floor of the Bower) targeting a late August or early September opening.

GarfieldPark commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/7/20 2:10 PM
Target date of Wed Aug 12th for I ST CVS. Can't come soon enough!

JES commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/7/20 1:59 PM
It looks like punch bowl isn't completely dead, as they're reopening some locations currently. Maybe that means ours will still happen, who knows. link

JD commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/7/20 12:31 PM
Wow, no, hadn't seen that.

But it is a really good reminder that any expectations that retail that says it's coming will actually get here (or will stay open once it's here) should be tempered, at best.

Sasq commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/7/20 12:20 PM
I don't think I've come across this on the site but, Cracker Barrel announced in March that eatertainment brand Punch Bowl Social has closed all of its 19 locations and laid off most of its restaurant and corporate staff and that it would not prevent foreclosure on the brand.

In these uncertain times, I wonder what will replace it???

jdc commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/3/20 2:24 PM
Being able to walk to Silver Diner is nice. I miss my routine of taking the morning off work several times a year and heading over there for a long breakfast over a pile of comics.

JES commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/3/20 10:59 AM
omg i would kill for a silver diner...

conngs0 commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
8/1/20 1:34 PM
sharksfansd, I agree the Peet's closure is a shame as it was a solid option. Not sure if you're typically around the Metro entrance and M Street, but just around the corner beyond the Marriott from Peet's is Lot38, which serves Illy Coffee, and the people who run it are fantastic. Unfortunately the outside isn't super inviting and there isn't outdoor seating, but (after covid), the upstairs seating area is comfortable.

sharksfansd commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/31/20 7:44 PM
Such a bummer about Peet's, as it was my go to instead of the other large coffee chain across the street. Pre-COVID-19 I usually saw it busy on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but not sure how it was performing on other days/times.

Hopefully Compass Coffee going in on Half St will be a hit and stick around longer.

GG commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/30/20 9:30 PM
So what’s the story with the CVS at Half and I? It’s looked fully stocked and ready to open for a month now, yet hasn’t opened yet. It’s even listed as open on their website.

Jscott280 commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/29/20 1:10 PM
Rumor has it that silver diner is coming to Half Street.

Noelle commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/21/20 4:41 PM
Did anyone ever make an eNvy condo page/group? I am trying to figure out next steps...

conngs0 commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/20/20 11:36 AM
JD, thanks for the update and I'm glad you're doing well (thanks for the good work you're doing with the Washington Post too). I think GNC is still trying to move its remaining stock, so it isn't closed yet.

JD commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/19/20 12:47 PM
Guess I forgot GNC on this list. Has it already closed?

Andres4Mayor commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/19/20 11:58 AM
Whatever is going on with Peet's is bigger than our one location. The company that owns it just went public on the Amsterdam stock exchange like a month ago... and they seem to be closing many DC area Peet's locations simultaneously.

Shogungts commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/19/20 11:27 AM
RE Scissors and Scotch: I never understood the alcohol and haircut combination. I like both of these things, but 1) I am not generally a 'guess I will just have a glass of scotch (or insert other type of alcohol) in the middle of the day person' and 2) I don't want to have to worry about getting hair in my drink and/or asking the person cutting my hair to stop every minute to hand me my drink that I had to place outside of reach so hair didn't get in it (this is especially true if clippers are involved as those little hairs get everywhere!).

The only time this would make sense to me is if they gave it to you while you are waiting for your haircut and I much rather a place that takes reservations and stays on time.

jdc commenting on Roundup of Some Recent Retail and Public Space Items
7/19/20 7:12 AM
I was wondering about Pete's Coffee closing. In all the time it was here, I never made it there (Lot 38 for life). Is it likely that the pandemic pushed it over the edge that it was already on? I know we've got plenty of coffee shops these days, so it seems both odd and understandable that one would close during the pandemic, but Pete's seems the unlikely one to me.

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/17/20 10:55 AM
Looks like lights were installed over Half Street.

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/15/20 11:48 AM
We recently discussed this (even though it is technically not in jdland)

link

GarfieldPark commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/15/20 11:47 AM
Very sad news about Tortilla Coast. Was solid Tex Mex and Coronas within walking distance to JD Land.

link

JD commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/14/20 1:47 PM
The few people I know who are working downtown say that it's brutal to try to find something for lunch.

conngs0 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/14/20 12:25 PM
jdc, it's going to be super interesting to see how the retail landscape changes. I think that some of the restaurants in JD Land might be set up for tread water with carry-out (and the ability to order cocktails certainly helps, and should remain), but others not so much. The more I learn about the business models at play in the restaurant industry, the more I realize I should not go into the restaurant business other than as a customer!

jdc commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/14/20 6:30 AM
By the time I regularly resume trips to JD Land, I wonder how much of the retail landscape will have changed?

Speaking of that, I originally assumed that the pandemic would spell doom for almost all of the restaurants with folks like myself working from home and not in the neighborhood 9-5. But, then I realized that there are more people who live in JD Land than work there 9-5 and they are likely now working at home too and patronizing local restaurants for many meals. I suppose the worst-hit areas would be places like midtown DC, where the 9-5 workers are all working at home and there is not a large base of residents patronizing businesses as they also work at home.

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/13/20 4:47 PM
link

Scissors and scotch coming to navy yard

MarkinDC commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/13/20 4:07 PM
The new liquor store next to BonChon appears to be open.

Also, the new CVS looks like it may be opening soon.

right-toe commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/13/20 2:59 PM
Floor plans posted & new-ish images for the Garrett (adjacent to Whole Foods) & DC Crossing (which I've also seen as Crossing DC???).

Garrett: link
Crossing: link

dcgent commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/13/20 6:51 AM
Why did JDLand cross the street to SW--to get a Slurpee?

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/13/20 12:26 AM
@dcgent: That 7-11 is waaaaaay the heck over in Southwest. If NASA launched a probe today from JDLand all the way there, would we live long enough to even see any of the images that it beamed back?

dcgent commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/12/20 7:16 PM
Here's a few
--proposal building to replace 7-11 on S. Cap link

--M st will get a lane just for buses and bikes link

Hang in there. I'm covering this damn virus for another pub. It's exhausting.

JD commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/12/20 2:42 PM
Okay Commentariat, I need to put up a new post, but obviously my brain remains elsewhere. So, I'm putting you to work. Give me bullet points of what you think are the biggest news items of the past month or so. The items can be retail openings, closings, traffic news (aka bus lanes), and news of residential openings, new names, web sites, etc., or anything else. But it has to have a link to a primary source.

This is basically the first time since 2003 I've ever asked such a thing of readers, but I continue to be working seven days a week and just can't summon the brain power to bring a JDLand post together after missing so much.

First one to mention a bullet point gets a hat tip. And my deep thanks.

For those of you who don't know what I'm up to these days....:
link

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/12/20 2:31 PM
This is kind of confusing: It seems that dacha beer is breaking away from dacha(the restaurant). The new restaurant concept “called Jackie” will be American bistro. Look forward to checking it out.

Andres4Mayor commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/12/20 1:16 PM
Toastique soft opening on Monday 7/13.

Westnorth commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
7/10/20 4:34 PM
M St SE is getting rush-hour bus lanes from 1/2 St to 10th St.

link