Recent Comments

Yards/DC Water site
New Marine Barracks
Nat'l Community Church
Factory 202/Yards
SC1100
Completed
Novel South Capitol ('19)
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

RMP commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Whaley's Closing, Something Opening, Enchant
11/20/19 4:37 PM
All restaurants are seasonal to some extent but to me Whaley's felt like more of a summer destination than other places. I am sad to see it go but happy that it won't just be a vacant space.

conngs0 commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Whaley's Closing, Something Opening, Enchant
11/20/19 4:13 PM
jdc, I have to imagine slow business was the culprit with Whaleys. It's too bad. I thought it was a decent spot, but I saw it as more of a novelty place to go if I needed a place for a drink or a snack between meals rather than as a place to go for a "real" lunch or dinner. I know that's not a ringing endorsement, but I thought it made a nice contributions to the neighborhood's offerings. Looking forward to seeing what the Maydan chefs bring to the table!

jdc commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Whaley's Closing, Something Opening, Enchant
11/20/19 1:48 PM
That makes two restaurants that have come and gone before I was able to step food inside (the other being 100 montaditos). Any sense that slow business was the culprit for Whaleys?

202_cyclist commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/19/19 2:50 PM
@ColoradoCane:

I spoke with one of the construction workers the other night and he said they are lining the sewer pipes with concrete. Hopefully this eliminates the aroma of turds in the air.

walt commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/19/19 1:39 PM
@CJBabyDaddy: Whaaaat? How do you always know so much? This is great. Thx!

@ColoradoCane: No idea, but I agree, they've been there for ages and yes, it does stink to high heaven!

ColoradoCane commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/19/19 11:35 AM
Does anyone know what the work going on at the intersection of NJ & I St. almost every night for the past 4 months is? Looks like something to do with fixing pipes, they are always below ground. I just can't imagine what the work is that would take this long, they first arrived in June/July. Perhaps it has something to do with the terrible smell that is always evident around Slipstream?

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/14/19 10:04 PM
@Walt: Start here — link

willinrm commenting on Taking a Look at Tingey Square. And Canal Street. And 2nd Street.
11/14/19 3:47 PM
interestingly enough Chief Marcelle from BlueJacket will be leaving bluejacket to be the head chief at Maydan.... we will be losing 1 great chief but sounds like getting 2 in return! what a swap!

walt commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/14/19 2:55 PM
Great info on DC Water -- thanks everyone.
I'm going to see if I can get an escort by a staffer the next time my family is in town. We really wanted to see the roof as we strolled by on the nicest day of the year. But I'll also do it on the windiest!

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/13/19 6:10 PM
The lobby, roof, and 4th floor meeting space are available for rental.

conngs0 commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/13/19 6:08 PM
I totally agree that the first floor of the DC Water HQ looks fantastic. I hope they are in a position to rent it out for special events in order to make some money. I'm also not at all surprised that it's not open to the public. Too bad, but as others have mentioned, that's the world we live in.

conngs0 commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/13/19 6:06 PM
Brett M, I echo your disappointment on the structure of the new Capper Senior Center, but if essentially rebuilding the same building is necessary to get residents back sooner, then so be it. I agree the key is the maintenance of the building. Obviously hiring a competent management company would be a good start (wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth if Edgewood is brought back?). But really the responsibility rests on DCHA to hold accountable whatever management company it hires and also enforce its own rules regarding access to its facilities. I'm hopeful but not terribly optimistic.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/13/19 5:12 PM
A lovely lobby does not a public museum make. A rentable rooftop does not an observation deck for random ramblers make. 9/11 changed a lot about public access to various public agency buildings. The new normal ain’t really all that new.

JD commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/13/19 2:00 PM
It is a lovely public area that requires one to be escorted by a DC Water staffer. It's considered a critical infrastructure building and so they have it pretty locked down.

walt commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/13/19 11:06 AM
question for an expert:

DC Water has what I thought were "public areas" including the roof and a museumy-looking first floor. When I tried to go there one day recently, I was stopped at the pedestrian access sidewalk and told by security that I wasn't allowed to go any closer to the building unless I had an appointment. Is this the new normal? And why is there a museum on the first floor if the public cannot access it?

walt commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/13/19 10:53 AM
@WestNorth

When I bicycle, I don't like to cycle very close to homeless encampments and these underpasses appear to be the future home to encampments. I can't imagine that I would feel safe if that were the case.

11/13/19 10:51 AM
@202cyclist - the ANC6D rep ran his campaign on parking. Want different focus? Maybe consider running yourself?

Brett M commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/12/19 3:53 PM
It's disappointing to see the new Capper Seniors Center being reconstructed with the wood frame. Hopefully this time they'll maintain the fire alarm system in working order.

JD commenting on Slider-Palooza 2019: New Locations, Lots of Updates
11/12/19 12:46 PM
If you missed the PS at the bottom of the post, I've created a slider for the South Capitol Street traffic oval. Play with it yourself at link

ValveetaChz commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/10/19 8:15 AM
I just heard on the news that El Tamarindo is coming to the neighborhood near Nationals Park. Please let this be true. I love their pupusas!!!

RMP commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/9/19 8:39 PM
Petalpalooza 2020 coming to the neighborhood. link

bdj commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/8/19 5:47 PM
Now that is exciting!! Love when big name chefs come to the neighborhood.

dcgent commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/8/19 2:18 PM
And another restaurant is on the way, per Tom Sietsema of the Post--FOOD FLASH: The co-executive chefs at one of Washington’s most sought-after reservations tell me they’re parting ways with the restaurant they helped open two years ago. Which is another way of announcing that Gerald Addison and Chris Morgan are leaving their live fire show at Maydan on Nov. 19.

“It’s bittersweet,” says Addison. “There’s no good time to leave a restaurant,” says Morgan. “Our love for Middle Eastern food will never change.” But even before they partnered with Rose Previte to create Maydan, the chefs knew they wanted to eventually open a place of their own, and now that they have a location in the Navy Yard, the time seems right.

Both 31, the chefs can’t go into a lot of details just now. But their next act, under 100 seats, will be “completely different,” says Morgan. So no live fire. “Not every restaurant can do that.”

Clue No. 1: Their next restaurant will be "something the city doesn't have," says Morgan. Clue No. 2: The food will be something they’ve never done before in a professional setting but have experimented with on their own, adds Addison.

202_cyclist commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/8/19 1:49 PM
We can have an honest debate about some of the architecture in the neighborhood but does Mr. Doolittle prefer vacant lots and warehouses instead? If it is a sterile neighborhood, why are their many visitors every single day, including the days when there are no Nats games, going to the many restaurants in the neighborhood and our two great parks?

GaryRKarr commenting on Catching Up on Digging and Skeletoning, Fall 2019 Edition
11/8/19 12:54 PM
Meanwhile, ESPN's Bradford Doolittle writes that during the playoffs he "Iwent to Washington, D.C., where a sterile new urbanist neighborhood is sprouting up around Nationals Park like an invasive species." (Not sure how he knows about the fertility of so many here.) link

11/8/19 10:03 AM
Thank you for the update. Construction has also started at 716 L Street, the residential development next to the Brig.

UpEarly commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Avoiding Thoughts of Houston for a Moment
11/7/19 3:35 PM
Brookfield says they are still pursuing a theater for Yards West:

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

jdc commenting on Taking a Look at Tingey Square. And Canal Street. And 2nd Street.
11/7/19 11:31 AM
Old spooky. Nice to see ya again.

stacycloyd commenting on Taking a Look at Tingey Square. And Canal Street. And 2nd Street.
11/6/19 5:37 PM
From Tom Sietsma's chat today:

"Gerald Addison and Chris Morgan are leaving [Maydan]...the chefs knew they wanted to eventually open a place of their own, and now that they have a location in the Navy Yard, the time seems right.

The forthcoming restaurant is expected to launch next spring and find the two chefs working side by side, like now, but more involved in business matters and service steps than they are now."

Sk8carl commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/6/19 4:17 PM
Regarding the P Street cycletrack: P Street SW isn't exactly a major thoroughfare for cars. I don't see why a separate space for cyclists is needed. I've been biking on the street there for years. There are so many other places in DC where a cycle track would be more useful.

JD commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/6/19 3:02 PM
Speaking of the South Capitol median, now that it's been removed traffic is going to be shifted for the foreseeable future, presumably to start prep work for the oval.

JD commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/6/19 8:01 AM
Official word of JBG Smith buying F1rst: link

JD commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/5/19 3:55 PM
Floor plans and prices for the Kelvin (the east side of Half Street north of N, and the rental part, not the Envy condos): link

202_cyclist commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/5/19 11:11 AM
It is SWTLQTC territory but there is a heated discussion on the social medias about ANC 6D favoring 26 parking spaces adjacent to Fort McNair instead of safe infrastructure for cyclists. I am really disappointed in ANC 6D for their lack of commitment to making our streets safe for all users, not just accommodating drivers.

Sasq commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Avoiding Thoughts of Houston for a Moment
11/5/19 7:47 AM
Hello all!

Any future eNvy residents checking out this site? Looks like they moved the "delivery date" from December to Feb/Mar....

Also, the commercial space (while no names) should include a fudge/candy shop and a self pour brewer.

Westnorth commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/4/19 8:56 PM
Yeah, the plan is for the trail to dive under the bridge. I definitely wouldn't want to bike across the oval with kids.

JD commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/4/19 2:22 PM
I think the thing to do, particularly with kids, would be to ride down to the waterfront alongside the bridge and cross that way, and then come back up to Potomac Avenue.

MMRinDC commenting on The New Douglass Bridge: A Look Ahead to the West Traffic Oval
11/4/19 2:10 PM
From a driving perspective, the oval looks fine to me. But I am curious about cycling. That looks like a scary bike ride around the top of the oval if I want to stay on Potomac Ave going west (or the opposite, for that matter). You would face the traffic exiting and entering the circle to and from S Cap. My family does ride though that intersection occasionally. With young kids, maybe we'd try to ride through the middle of the oval, but it looks like that would put you on a sidewalk on the South side of the street-- opposite the protected bike lane. Also looks a bit iffy for pedestrians. I can't tell if there would be traffic lights at the crosswalks.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on The Neighborhood's Latest Milestone: A World Series
11/1/19 2:20 PM
@202 and &: No, no, no. They are delectable creatures from the shallows. Mmmmm.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed