Recent Comments

Nat'l Community Church
Factory 202/Yards
SC1100
Completed
Thompson Hotel ('20)
West Half ('19)
Novel South Capitol ('19)
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

Jscott280 commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/21/20 3:39 PM
@sasq that is a bummer. I heard a tidbit on the retail coming to N Street, but will wait until it is announced.

Sasq commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/20/20 6:39 PM
@Jscott280 and @AGH....went by Envy.... was told that closings will more likely be April and May due to DC permits...

JD commenting on Hallo, Douglass Bridge Arches!
1/18/20 7:11 AM
Yes, he's working pretty hard these days.

202_cyclist commenting on Hallo, Douglass Bridge Arches!
1/17/20 9:06 PM
JD— fantastic reporting by your brother! The continuation of our democracy depends on reporting like this
link

JD commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/16/20 1:00 PM
I knew this was coming. We'll do something at Anchovy Social when the weather is a little more agreeable.

202_cyclist commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/16/20 12:59 PM
JD-- with all of these new neighbors wanting to meet, I remember it has been a long time since there's been a JD Land happy hour.

EnvySquared commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/15/20 9:38 PM
Stopped in at the Thompson bar tonight and was told that Anchovy Social's official opening is the 30th, and the soft opening begins tomorrow (until the 30th) for happy hour daily from 5-8pm. Will try to stop by!

JES commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/15/20 8:50 PM
Ventured up to Shaw tonight for the grand opening of Emmy Squared to check it out before our 'hood gets one later this year. Happy to report that it's delicious. link

1/15/20 11:31 AM
@AGH I heard from Laura that the 2nd floor will be settling closer to early March, not sure if this is the current information. Also, urban pace is planning an opening day party for all owners(regardless if they have settled or not).

Looks like they have a lot of work to go around the "hood", but we will see.

1/15/20 10:08 AM
@AGH...Hey there neighbor!!! ***fingers crossed** Look forward to meeting you and @Jscott280

walt commenting on Hallo, Douglass Bridge Arches!
1/14/20 4:03 PM
Will the ovals really be called ovals? A round of beers if Google maps ever says "turn right at the second turn in the traffic oval"

202_cyclist commenting on Hallo, Douglass Bridge Arches!
1/14/20 7:49 AM
Frederick Douglass is doing a fantastic job!

link

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Hallo, Douglass Bridge Arches!
1/14/20 7:33 AM
At the ribbon-cutting, in honor of its namesake, I hope the Mayor cranks up a Chuck Brown go-go classic and designates JD to lead everyone in doing the Dougie.

AGH commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/13/20 4:34 PM
@sasq and @Jscott280 - Hello neighbors too! We're also moving into the Envy (any hope by opening day??)

smitty2k1 commenting on Hallo, Douglass Bridge Arches!
1/13/20 1:58 PM
As a cyclist that works down here, I'm most excited for easy access to the east bank of the Anacostia trail. It's lovely biking over there and having the new bridge will give me several great options for crossing from the west bank trail to the east bank trail. The old bridge was awful for cyclists/pedestrians.

conngs0 commenting on Hallo, Douglass Bridge Arches!
1/13/20 1:43 PM
I'm pretty psyched about this project. In the first instance, I like the design of the bridge. But primarily, I like how the lower height will result in less dead space on the shoreline. Combined with the traffic circles, I'm hopeful that it at least help ties together southeast and southwest DC on the west side of the river, if not both sides.

RMP commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/11/20 4:00 PM
I see that the next ANC agenda has a proposal from CM Forgie to make Half St between M and N pedestrian only. I hope that becomes a reality.

bdj commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/10/20 5:13 PM
@Jscott280 if you mean the old Chix place, I believe JD posted a few months back it was going to be a pizza place.

1/10/20 12:21 PM
@Sasq hello neighbor. I am moving into envy condos as well (2nd floor). Anyone know what is coming beside the navy ballpark metro station on half street?

1/10/20 10:36 AM
It looks like there is construction on the addition next to the Sonder short-term apartment rental at 816 Potomac Ave SE. JD-- will this be more short-term rentals? I forgot the details about this.

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

1/10/20 10:29 AM
I had dinner last night at Maialiano as well. The 'no tipping' really takes the pressure off (imo). Service was great from coat check to us walking out the door. Everyone was pleasant, we met one of the managers, Laura,who stated that 75% of the diners were from the area (not me...yet, as I won't move until the eNvy Condos are ready)and that they were very happy to have so many locals, which hopefully means, people will make it one of their neighborhood favorites.The Executive Chef, Rose was very humble and appreciative and went around to speak with guests. The waiter recommended items from the list and was knowledgeable about menu items.

CL85 commenting on Wednesday Tidbits: Maialino Mare, Thompson Hotel, UPS Store Now Open
1/10/20 9:57 AM
Enjoyed dinner at Maialino Mare last night. An excellent and welcome addition to the neighborhood. Food was excellent, and service was very good, with only a few minor second day kinks that are easily forgiven. The pricing is very reasonable when factoring in the no tipping policy.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on I'm Dreaming of Some Nice Tidbits (Just Like the Ones I Used to Know)
1/5/20 5:44 PM
I’m waiting for the JDLand-reader rendering of JD creating her rendering of the CSX rendering.

jdc commenting on I'm Dreaming of Some Nice Tidbits (Just Like the Ones I Used to Know)
1/5/20 9:40 AM
@202 - the more important question is 'has JD created any renderings for the CSX site'?

202_cyclist commenting on I'm Dreaming of Some Nice Tidbits (Just Like the Ones I Used to Know)
1/4/20 3:50 PM
Woo hoo!!!! Are there any renderings yet for the CSX site?

JD commenting on I'm Dreaming of Some Nice Tidbits (Just Like the Ones I Used to Know)
1/4/20 10:34 AM
@202 will be thrilled to know that Tower Crane permits have been approved for the CSX East site and the Chemonics site. Top and bottom of NJ Ave!

1/3/20 7:48 PM
@jdc: Yep. Makes me appreciate our very own professional slider-paloozarist.

1/3/20 12:59 PM
They really did miss some notable developments with that slider. Hum.

conngs0 commenting on I'm Dreaming of Some Nice Tidbits (Just Like the Ones I Used to Know)
12/31/19 1:22 PM
Cool article. The illustration of the neighborhood even missed a few buildings that were constructed during the decade. It's also easy to see how much more the neighborhood will change in the next few years!

GaryRKarr commenting on I'm Dreaming of Some Nice Tidbits (Just Like the Ones I Used to Know)
12/31/19 12:57 PM
Thanks @CJBabyDaddy ... apparently it didn't like me, or at least not my Ipad.

12/31/19 7:57 AM
@GaryRKarr: Here’s my try—. link

In any event, folks, Google NYT Upshot for a sense of what JDLand sliders look like from way up in the sky.

Jscott280 commenting on I'm Dreaming of Some Nice Tidbits (Just Like the Ones I Used to Know)
12/31/19 7:52 AM
Will we get an announcement on the dc water parcel( where they hold all their trucks) or a movie theater in 2020?

12/30/19 9:18 PM
Trying that again.

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

12/30/19 9:17 PM
Our area is featured in this Upshot NYT story:

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

12/30/19 8:31 PM
That’s a high-stakes gamble.

Also, ice cold that JD didn’t get an invite.

12/30/19 2:01 PM
@CJ1: Peeking in the restaurant windows this past Saturday night, we were approached by a gentleman on his way out who was curious about our snooping. After we explained, he identified himself as the chef and encouraged us to come back on January 8th for the opening.

He walked away without saying it would be on the house, but I’m going to delude myself into thinking he meant to.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed