Recent Comments

Nat'l Community Church
Factory 202/Yards
SC1100
Completed
Thompson Hotel ('20)
West Half ('19)
Novel South Capitol ('19)
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

202_cyclist commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
4/7/20 10:20 PM
2-story retail is such a waste for the 1299 First Street lot.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
4/7/20 7:40 PM
@JES: With all the stress and anxiety we’re enduring, you had to go rub salt into our collective movie theater wound? I’d give anything to be able to walk by a shuttered theater nowadays that I could look forward to seeing re-open next year. Bwaaaah ~Sniffle~ Bwaaaah ~Sniffle~ I’m O.K. I just had a moment.

4/7/20 7:09 PM
Gary— yes, they play that and He revelry every morning at the Navy Yard. Sometimes when I am running, I yell ‘play ball’ afterwards but hey is just too depressing now.

JES commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
4/7/20 2:10 PM
@NWtoSE I just saw "Coming 2019 Showplace ICON theatre" on the map in the property marketing flyer, and i got sad

NWtoSE commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
4/7/20 1:31 PM
@JScott280- I don't think they have a tenant, but the developer plans to build a 2 story bar-restaurant with a rooftop and basement.

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

GaryRKarr commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
4/7/20 10:30 AM
It may be because this is the first spring I've lived in JDLand, but has "The Star-Spangled Banner" always been broadcast over loudspeakers at 8 a.m.? (Noticing it now because our windows are open) I'm assuming this is coming from the Marine Band building.

Jscott280 commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
4/2/20 1:36 PM
Construction fences up at 1299 first st, has anyone heard what might go here?

4/1/20 10:46 PM
JD— your brother is doing good work.

link

RMP commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/22/20 4:09 PM
The Willow space is cleared out :(

MarkinDC commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/22/20 11:30 AM
This article has some great info for helping out our neighborhood restaurants and bar workers. Pay special attention to the "virtual tip jar" in the article.

link

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

3/20/20 9:32 PM
@RMP: I’m stacking up gift cards so I can celebrate by binging at a couple of my favorite spots when they re-open.

AGH commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/20/20 3:31 PM
Just got notice that the new retail on N street will be: Kilwins (Chocolate, Fudge, and Ice Cream), Chicken + Whiskey, and Taphouse 99 (in addition to Punch Bowl). Not sure how or if any of this will change in the next weeks/months.

3/20/20 3:29 PM
Kilwins(ice cream), chicken + whiskey and taphouse 99 coming to N street.

RMP commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/19/20 12:48 PM
Does anyone else feel like they are spending more money on restaurants right now than before? I am devastated by the pain that all of our neighborhood businesses are feeling.

bmooremsu commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/18/20 2:43 PM
Per Bisnow.com: Capitol Riverfront Site Eyed For 900-Unit Development With A Food Hall

Read more at: link

KLG commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/18/20 10:57 AM
There is new lettering up on the door of the former Whaley's space. It reads "Bammy's". Any buzz on this?

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

JD commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/17/20 10:29 AM
As I said in the tidbit above, I think all forward-looking data should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt right now. This neighborhood's retail/food establishment could be pretty decimated in the coming weeks/months.

That said, La Famosa got its building permit for its spot at the Bower.

3/16/20 5:20 PM
Not sure if this is the right time...but the new retail on N street should be revealed next week.

3/16/20 1:25 PM
So, who's up for a virtual JD Land happy hour?

jdc commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/11/20 4:10 PM
Tower crane for DC Crossing is being disassembled.

Ampersand commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/11/20 3:40 PM
Just passed through Canal Park and the ice rink is no more. Soon I will be able to get my pizza, gelato, and croissants without walking all the way around.

RMP commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/10/20 12:02 PM
Swizzler taking over the old Taylor Gourmet space link

JD commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/9/20 10:42 AM
I was going to put up a new post with news of Jeni's" target=blank>link Ice Creams coming to 4th and Tingey, Andy's" target=blank>link Pizza bringing slices to a walk-up window at Atlas Brew Works on Half Street, and signs" target=blank>link pointing to El Rey and American Ice Company coming to the Riverwalk in spaces at the Maren and Dock 79, but with the current news of the world, I think any forward-looking items now need to be viewed through the edges of an N95 respirator and a collapsing stock market.

dcgent commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/9/20 9:13 AM
Some pricey views of nats park! link

RMP commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/4/20 6:11 PM
Walk up windows are the best. I wish they were more common. I used to stop at get coffee at the Velo Cafe (RIP) walk-up window when I was in the area. They are really handy for when you're out walking dog(s) and want something quick to-go.

dcgent commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/4/20 3:23 PM
Buzzard point conversion to swap out ground floor retail for charter school? link I worry that's bad for pushing that still desolate area to be a nice residential area. But who knows

JD commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/4/20 9:25 AM
Assuming it's slices at the walk-up window, they will do amazing business on game days.

jdc commenting on Super Tuesday Tidbits: Hello Maxwell Park, Goodbye Biersch
3/4/20 8:39 AM
I always appreciate more pizza options, but can the neighborhood really sustain this many pizza joints?

3/3/20 7:02 PM
Andy’s Pizza to join atlas brewery on half street. They will have a walk up window...pretty cool.

jdc commenting on Albi Opening This Week, Five of the Very Best, and Square Pizza
3/3/20 8:31 AM
A good portion of Metro chiller site's building has been torn down. Does anyone know if the plans call for the 2 chillers to remain in operation during construction, i.e. to provide cooling at our local stop? That was my impression, but they certainly hacked away at the building in a pretty indiscriminate manner.

JD - I took a street-level photo and I'll get one from 1015 Half St, too, for the archive.

willinrm commenting on Albi Opening This Week, Five of the Very Best, and Square Pizza
3/3/20 8:02 AM
Maxwell opened last night! completely missed it.

ValveetaChz commenting on Retail Roundup: Dryy Opening Today, Hill Spirits Coming Soon, More
3/3/20 7:45 AM
We are STILL dealing with our mail being mixed up after almost 9 years!

JES commenting on Albi Opening This Week, Five of the Very Best, and Square Pizza
3/2/20 2:31 PM
I really liked the beer. The one in Tysons didn't close, but that's obviously a slog to get to from here, lol

3/2/20 11:14 AM
That is a shame. I appreciated the changing menu and never had a bad meal, but the service was always SO slow. I bet the influx of new options in JD Land really cut into the volume of patrons.

Chris commenting on Albi Opening This Week, Five of the Very Best, and Square Pizza
3/2/20 10:46 AM
Gordon Biersch closed for good last night, with no advance notice to staff. (They closed restaurants around the country, including Rockville MD, leaving them with just 10.)

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Albi Opening This Week, Five of the Very Best, and Square Pizza
2/28/20 8:18 PM
@caphillguy: The turnstiles may be a chokepoint for chumps like you and me, but apparently not for many of our neighbors who simply walk through the gates adjacent to the kiosk fully confident that the station managers looking at them have decided that fare evasion doesn’t occur if you pretend not to see it.

caphillguy commenting on Albi Opening This Week, Five of the Very Best, and Square Pizza
2/28/20 12:44 PM
Would the new entrance come with its own set of turnstiles or would it just provide an additional escalator that ultimately merges with the other M and New Jersey entrance before the turnstiles? I'm guessing the latter because that seems much easier to construct, but the former would ease congestion much more since the turnstiles are a major choke point.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed