Recent Comments

Nat'l Community Church
Factory 202/Yards
SC1100
Completed
Thompson Hotel ('20)
West Half ('19)
Novel South Capitol ('19)
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/30/20 3:24 PM
Serious workplace accident on the ground this morning at the Chemonics construction site. One worker clearly suffered life-threatening physical trauma. Hoping for the best. Another worker appeared to suffer a much less serious knee injury.

MJM commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/28/20 11:24 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood Pivot Physical Therapy. Its located behind Sprint (where they put in a new side door entrance).

VelocityChris commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/28/20 7:26 PM
How quickly Juice Laundry and Whaley's were replaced bodes well!

conngs0 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/28/20 1:44 PM
202, I couldn't agree more re the GNC. It's tough though - retail seems to need to be present in some critical mass to make an area a destination for it. Fingers crossed that something fills that vacant GNC spot sooner than later!

202_cyclist commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/28/20 8:16 AM
The GNC on Tingey Street is closing. I am sorry for the employees who are losing their jobs but I hope that there can be better retail at that location that helps encourage a vibrant streetscape.

tmich93 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/26/20 12:59 PM
CVS on the corner of I and Half seems like it's nearly completely stocked. I'd assume their opening is imminent.

Sasq commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/25/20 6:32 AM
@Jscott280 and @AGH. I agree, don't want to bore our neighbors with all the back and forth! In the meantime, my email is sajayjaz28@yahoo.com.
I did not get my own inspector. Most things were minor (caulking, paint touch ups, uneven shelf, w/d not level) but I did find however, that my junction box in the living room was off center and was told that they could not change it because the ceiling is concrete....(so either come drunk or tilt your head when enter my place!!!!)

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/24/20 1:20 PM
@sasq @AGH. I did not have a inspector for my walkthrough. In general, the building/unit seemed very well built. The only issues I had were minor blemishes with paint and punch out items (dents..etc). In the future, lets create an envy (hopefully) owners groupme so we dont take over jdland with envy (i hate that name) talk.

AGH commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/24/20 10:29 AM
Sasq and Jscott280: Ok, I'm revising my July estimate and now just hoping for before Labor Day. For the walk through, did you see any major issues? Did you have a third party inspector come? This is our first new construction purchase which is much different.

And thanks CJBabyDaddy! That confirms what I thought too. We are on 6 and they told us that floors 2-5 would be completed and moved in likely before we close.

Sasq commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/24/20 6:44 AM
@CJBabyDaddy Thank you so much for the welcome and the background information for Bower. That gives me hope! The anxiety is on overload and moving during a pandemic...geesh. But it will all be well and soon! :)

202_cyclist commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/24/20 6:05 AM
Jscott280– thank you for posting about the proposed housing at the 7-11 site. Unfortunately, from the debate elsewhere, it seems that the NIMBYs have lost their minds.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/23/20 8:35 PM
Sasq: Our Bower experience informs me that the entire building need not be finished in order for the COA to be issued or move-ins to start. Bower COA: Dec 2018. First closings and move-ins: Feb 2019. Many upper floor units were being finished for several months thereafter.

Watching you and others geek out over the Avidian and eNvy revives fond and anxious —now seemingly ancient — memories. Enjoy your new homes. Welcome to the ‘hood.

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/23/20 2:16 PM
@sasq good stuff - hopefully they can get their act together and get us a Certificate if occupancy lol. I want to be on the rooftop before the first game. :)

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/23/20 1:03 PM
Maybe not JDland territory - but about as close as you can get link

Sasq commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/23/20 7:42 AM
@jscott280. Walk-thru went well. I heard "mid-July and possibly a few in early July". Interestingly, I walked into the Kelvin on Sunday (didn't realize they were open for over a month). I was just curious when they would finish their rooftop, to see if there was any indication of when ours would be completed. She said the entire building was not completed and that the crews are still working, based on the floors that are being occupied. Their rooftop is supposed to be done by 4 July. This made me assume that our building doesn't have to be completely finished for us to move in...but who knows. One can always hope!

202_cyclist commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/22/20 4:18 PM
There is a new blog covering development at Buzzard Point.

link

SWTLQTC, RIP!

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/22/20 11:42 AM
@sasq closing is pushed back now(ughhhh). Good luck today - let me know what you hear.

VelocityChris commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/21/20 1:34 PM
Good call JES, I think you must be right. We were out on a walk today and workers were fixing the loose boards on the Riverwalk (in front of the DC H2O HQS). Also, third time at Yellow cafe and literally everything (coffee/pastries) we've had so far is incredible.

JES commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/20/20 3:48 PM
Chris, I'd guess that's just staging for some other project, like when they build a small piece of what the exterior's gonna look like (I dunno what it's called. spec wall? any architect wanna weigh in?). Perhaps for the building right across Half on the chiller site.

VelocityChris commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/20/20 9:25 AM
Any ideas what the little building being built on the North side of 49L St is going to be? They're just building right on top of the parking lot asphalt, no foundation so I assume it's going to be somewhat temporary, but that's a lot of steel and reinforcement going up, and a cinder block wall.

Sasq commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/19/20 7:08 PM
@jscott280 & AGH Got a late nite email from Laura...lol I'm on 3rd and have a walk-thru on Monday. From what I understand, they still don't have Certificates of Occupancy (apparently, it's a slow going process) but they want to get the walk-thrus out of the way. I have to tell myself August....too scared to put my eggs in the July basket!!! But, yes....exciting!

AGH commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/19/20 5:02 PM
@jscott80 & Sasq,

This is such exciting news! We haven’t gotten any updates from Laura since early April so was wondering on the progress. So if you’re doing walkthroughs and settlement I guess they have their COA? We’re on the 6th floor and hoping mid-July.

Sasq commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/18/20 8:47 PM
@jscott80 Congratulations!!!!

Yeah.....I peek through the windows at least once a week!

I hope to be in soon!

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/18/20 6:34 PM
@sasq supposed to be Wednesday or Thursday (even tho I have yet to get a settlement statement....ugh). The lobby is absolutely gorgeous though, they are still doing a lot of work. There isn’t any gym equipment yet, but that should be coming in the next week.

Sasq commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/18/20 5:55 PM
@jscott280 Great! Been stalking the page to see if you had it! Lol Do you have a closing date?

Yes! Can't wait to see it!

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/18/20 5:26 PM
@sasq walkthrough went well today. Make sure you see the indoor (zen) garden....pretty cool feature.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/18/20 11:55 AM
@202: Hey, not all of us PA’s like cigars. Many of us fly coach. And some of us never heard of the Robb Report before this week. We’re quite a diverse bunch.

MJM commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/18/20 11:01 AM
Years ago (maybe 2011) Tommy Wells said the Navy was looking at Bldg 202 as a site for the Navy Museum. Doubt that will happen since its a DC land swap but that would be awesome if it went there.

202_cyclist commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/18/20 6:44 AM
CJBabyDaddy— the Robb Report is for pretentious jackasses who like to smoke expensive cigars and fly on private jets.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/17/20 10:52 PM

link

Whatever the Robb Report is rates our own Albi here in our ‘hood as the 2nd best new restaurant in 2020. Not 2nd best new restaurant in SE. Not 2nd best new restaurant in DC. 2nd best new restaurant in the U.S. of A.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/17/20 9:52 PM
@Conngs0: Someone in a position to know tells me it’s Bldg 74, tucked away back where the Trapeze School is currently located.

202_cyclist commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/17/20 3:53 PM
Apparently, the 37 L Street development is called the Kennedy on L.

link

conngs0 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/17/20 3:06 PM
Thanks for sharing, CJ. Interesting news - I wish there was a little more information on the parcel the Navy has in mind, although I understand keeping that information close to the vest until/unless a deal is finalized. Hopefully it's still JDLand territory (could be a nice segue from the actual Navy Yard to the planned bridge park?). In any event, I've heard the museum really is worthwhile, so it should be in a more accessible location.

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/17/20 11:50 AM

Gonna drop this right here:

link

GarfieldPark commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/14/20 11:37 PM
Anyone know what in the world is up with the fireworks all weekend long near I ST? Been happening way past 11 PM both nights.

Sasq commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/14/20 9:21 PM
@jscott280 congratulations!!!!! Hope it goes well. I figure I won't move until next month! Hopefully sooner than later!

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/14/20 7:46 AM
@sasq I have a walkthrough scheduled next week....fingers crossed

Jscott280 commenting on Inching from Quarantining to Reopening, Open Thread
6/14/20 7:46 AM
BTW... google maps has updated with new satellite images of navy yard.....pretty impressive

JDLand Comments RSS Feed