Recent Comments

SC1100
Completed
Yards/Guild Apts. ('19)
Capper/The Harlow ('19)
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

JNB commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/18/19 9:27 PM
Cheesesteak was not that great to be honest. Tried to do too much. Fries were decent. Wings were ok. Whole thing felt like an afterthought from the beginning.

bdj commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/18/19 9:27 PM
@walt seems like it was hard to train a backup executive chef for a counter in a WF. I went one of the first nights and it was great. Sounds like the change to a WF burger bar matches the quality of the restaurant and what you'd expect in a WF.

walt commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/18/19 10:34 AM
That is super-fun to watch TV with our local shops in the background!

walt commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/18/19 10:26 AM
@jdc:
re: Philly Wing Fry
I ate there a few times and the cottage fries were the best I'd ever had. The wings were inconsistent - ranging from also the best ever, to ketchup-soaked-fat. The good times were enough to send me back again, but then the wings were so-so, and at $16, I just didn't want to take the chance on tossing it in the garbage again.
I think the quality control was a problem. When Kwame was there, the food was top-notch. When he wasn't, it just wasn't worth the price.

RMP commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/17/19 11:40 PM
By "really bad" I mean really bad for the Dacha owners. Can't complain about the quality of the journalism.

RMP commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/17/19 11:39 PM
The Dacha article is really bad. Please tell me the folks at Brig are running everything on the up and up because I need at least one beer garden in this neighborhood I can support.

conngs0 commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/17/19 5:39 PM
Unfortunate news about Dache. FWIW, I went there for the first time on Saturday afternoon and it was awesome. The automatic service fee, once it was explained to me, was super convenient (and well-deserved). I plan to go back but hope this controversy gets resolved.

JD commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/17/19 5:09 PM
And there's also lots of conflict with wait staff about paychecks, tipping, etc. Long article.

JD commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/17/19 5:06 PM
From Washingtonian: "Dacha Navy Yard has been open just under two months, but the modern American restaurant with 800-person beer garden is already facing legal and financial trouble. Owners Ilya Alter and Dmitri Chekaldin are the focus of a lawsuit from TriMark Adams-Burch, one of the major restaurant supply companies in Washington. In the complaint, filed in early June, TriMark Adams-Burch alleges the business owes over $277,453 in outstanding bills and accuses the restaurateurs of “fraud, ill-will, recklessness, wantonness, oppressiveness, and willful disregard of Adams-Burch’s rights with evil motive or actual malice.”" link

JES commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/17/19 2:08 PM
The one time I ate there, i thought the sandwich was exquisite. But it was also 16 dollars, which is sticker shock steep for a sandwich from a grocery store takeout counter.

jdc commenting on Tidbit Roundup: Hair, Food, Golf, and Straws Edition
6/17/19 1:23 PM
Philly Wing Fry did not last long. I never ate there, so maybe that was part of the problem. Anyone have any thoughts? Taste, price, market demo as culprits?

RMP commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/16/19 12:43 PM
Smorgasburg was absolutely packed. I couldn't believe how many people turned out. The nice weather and novelty of it helped, I'm sure. They really need to figure out what to do with Tingey between NJ and 3rd because that was a completely dangerous mess the entire day and there are still cars illegally parked on the entire block this morning.

DataNerd commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/15/19 6:09 PM
In my search of info about 39 Steps, I came across this relatively "Martian"/Buzzard Pt neighborhood blogger: link

It doesn't have a comment section ??

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

Ampersand commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/14/19 2:39 PM
The Altani side of Wiseguy had a serious spread of pastries today, and the three we tried were all amazing. The owner was there and he was also experimenting with and offering samples of Belgian waffles. I love that place and am so happy to have it in the neighborhood. It seems like the perfect business for the location.

willinrm commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/12/19 1:20 PM
talked to the shilling canning owner/manager earlier this month, and he said that they plan on opening at the end of June.

JES commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/12/19 12:26 PM
Its called 39 Steps, and its other locations are in Europe: link

bdj commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/11/19 9:58 PM
@Walt - the coffee shop that's going in has signs up and everything on the outside. I can't remember the name from the last time I was over there, but it looked like a local spot, not a big chain (or else I'd probably remember the name)

JES commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/11/19 1:37 PM
Schilling Canning must be getting close. Walked past today and saw a "now interviewing" chalkboard, along with some jackhammering being done around its periphery, presumably for patio fence posts. Ignore my dog doing his best to block the sign while drinking out of their water bowl... link

202_cyclist commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/11/19 10:34 AM
Yes, UpEarly-- if you stayed up late reading the comment threads, you might have seen it!

202_cyclist commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/11/19 10:32 AM
Walt- That sounds like good news (except for the anti-coffee JD).

walt commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/11/19 9:59 AM
@202_cyclist -- since you're talking about the other side of the moon, I'm told by my DC United sources that they're moving the bike valet from it's current location and adding a coffee shop.

walt commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/11/19 9:56 AM
"...the corner of First and N streets SE, basically Main and Main of the neighborhood around Nationals Park."

oh god, please let it be called "Main & Main".

JD commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/11/19 9:26 AM
@UpEarly, our own NavyYardRes posted a link here in the comments to the leasing brochure back in early May. Brochure: link

202_cyclist commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/10/19 9:17 PM
On one of the listserves of a building in the neighborhood, there was discussion recently about DCHA developing the vacant lot next to NJ ave,
between I and K Street.

UpEarly commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/10/19 5:56 PM
Plans to build 2 stories of retail at 1st and N (currently Rockland's BBQ pop-up):

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

202_cyclist commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/10/19 4:05 PM
@CJBabyDaddy:

Or Mars, which the moon is part of....

link

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/10/19 2:51 PM
@202: You posting stuff about stuff all the way over on the other side of South Capitol? Might as well be the other side of the moon.

202_cyclist commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/10/19 8:51 AM
Since SWTLQTC doesn’t appear to be active these days, I might as well poet this here. I think this space is operated by the person who operates Blind Whino.

link

202_cyclist commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/9/19 6:43 PM
@D’ohboy— one of our neighbors in 909 NJ has a boxer.

bdj commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/9/19 5:35 PM
@d'ohboy - I do dog adoptions and I'd be very very careful about the breed restrictions. I live in the Velocity and we don't have any breed restrictions. There's usually a unit or two being put up for rent in the building.

D’ohboy commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/9/19 9:32 AM
I’m hoping folks here can provide some advice to a longtime reader/first-time commenter... My wife and I live on the other side of the highway and we’re looking to move into JDLand for 6-9 months while our house is renovated. The only issue is our dog. She’s a sweet, loving 45-pound girl that we rescued from the Humane Society. Her paperwork lists her as a boxer mix, but people sometimes mistake her for a pit bull mix. All the buildings in JDLand have breed restrictions. We’re worried that we’ll run afoul of these rules, even though our dog is a boxer mix. Does anyone here have advice or experience with this issue?

202_cyclist commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/4/19 4:57 PM
Does anyone know if there will be any concerts this summer at Nats Park?

walt commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/4/19 4:10 PM
Just catching up with previous comments.
1. Ice Cream social was great. Sorry I didn't have a chance to say hello to JD
2. building more floors on top of an existing building? Sounds challenging. My window-washers can't even clean a window without trampling the only living bush below them, so I'm crossing my fingers for the tenants!

walt commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/4/19 4:05 PM
My dog didn't want to leave the area because he thought it smelled so good. Fire was out and everyone safe by the time the pup was drooling over the aroma of charred whatevers. :)

Daedam commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/4/19 10:39 AM
Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard anything about Hatoba (the ramen spot that was supposed to open in the old 100 Montaditos location) lately. I thought it was supposed to open this past winter. Anyone know if that is still happening?

RMP commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/3/19 9:32 PM
Corrected link to article: link

RMP commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/3/19 9:31 PM
Glad to hear that no one was hurt in the fire. It was quite surreal.

I was walking down 4th St with my dogs and wondered if they had installed grills at The Sun Deck(TM) because it smelled kind of like burnt food. As soon as we got to the corner by the old Bower sales office the alarm at the Lumber shed went off and everyone evacuated. It took about 5 minutes for the first fire engine to arrive. I didn't get a count on the total number of response vehicles but it was a lot. The response was definitely intense.

Morini posted on Facebook that they hope to re-open tomorrow which seems a little baffling. DCFD definitely went in with a fire hose so I imagine there is water damage that you can't see from the outside. Plus with an incident like this I imagine DOH or DCRA or some other governing agency would want to sign off and you know how quickly they move. I hope none of the businesses are too badly impacted.

WCP is covering it:

(oops, image URL included with this comment didn't work!)

JES commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/3/19 5:15 PM
Someone on Facebook just posted a picture of a bunch of fire trucks and smoke pouring out of the morini/agua building right now...

jdc commenting on Tuesday Tidbits: Cleaners, Crossing, Ice Cream Social
6/3/19 4:28 PM
JES - yea, I noticed that too and had a good (sad) laugh.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed