Recent Comments

Nat'l Community Church
Factory 202/Yards
SC1100
Completed
New DC Water HQ ('19)
Yards/Bower Condos ('19)
Virginia Ave. Tunnel ('19)
99 M ('18)
225 Virginia/200 I ('12)
Foundry Lofts ('12)
1015 Half Street ('10)
Yards Park ('10)
Velocity Condos ('09)
Teague Park ('09)
909 New Jersey Ave. ('09)
55 M ('09)
100 M ('08)
Onyx ('08)
70/100 I ('08)
Nationals Park ('08)
Seniors Bldg Demo ('07)
400 M ('07)
Douglass Bridge Fix ('07)
US DOT HQ ('07)
20 M ('07)
Capper Seniors 1 ('06)
Capitol Hill Tower ('06)
Courtyard/Marriott ('06)
Marine Barracks ('04)

Westnorth commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/25/19 5:50 PM
Oh WOW! Now that's why you don't just take photos with your phones, kids: someday, someone might come along and want to print them off at billboard size!

CJBabyDaddy commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/24/19 7:29 PM
@100CapCaucus:

A Google search of “Anacostia River” generates links to organizations that sponsor clean-up brigades.

Boardwalk maintenance has included routine periodic replacement of sections of plankery over the years as deemed necessary by the United States Greater Southeast Capitol Riverfront Non-Navy Yard Anacostia Boardwalk Plank Commission — or whoever it is that maintains it. If you’re concerned about an acute safety issue, a call to 311 with specific details would be a commendable act of civic responsibility. Make us all proud.

100CapCaucus commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/24/19 5:46 PM
How do you find out about Anacostia River cleanups? I walked down the boardwalk and it was a side sight in the water. Also, I noticed many of the planks on the boardwalk are loose and coming unscrewed. Feels like a safety hazard.

4/24/19 4:52 PM
Hmm. Might be worth it to address your Jubilee crosswalk issue with the ANC Commissioner (who lives mere footsteps away!) and give him a chance to be the hero there.

RMP commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/22/19 11:28 PM
@CJBabyDaddy it feels like a treat these days to get to use the crosswalk in front of Ice Cream Jubilee. I've never seen a single car ticketed for parking in the crosswalk, unless you count those "final warning, your license plate has been recorded" stickers that Yards security uses sometimes.

4/22/19 7:30 PM
@RMP: Brookfield retains control of some blocks that have yet to be turned over to DC, and regulates parking on those blocks to accommodate construction. The “No Parking” signs on certain blocks (400 & 500 Tingey, 1300 4th & 5th, for example) were erected by Brookfield and the restrictions are imposed by them until they hand those blocks over. In coordination with DC, ticketing and towing do occur on these blocks when Brookfield finds it necessary to keep things clear for construction. (The electricians who came to install my ceiling fan at the Bower two weeks ago found out the hard way.). I see ticketing on 4th and Water regularly. Not regularly enough for my taste, though. By the way, that was me dancing that jig last week when two cars in front of Philz got booted.

4/22/19 2:18 PM
Who is responsible for the new block of Water between 4th and 5th? DDOT? Brookfield? My understanding is that Brookfield currently has jurisdiction over those streets, which is why you never see parking tickets for any of the illegally parked cars on 3rd, 4th and Water.

jdc commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/22/19 1:14 PM
With build out around Yards Park nearing completion, I wonder if attention will finally turn (back) to Factory 202? JD's page for Factory 202 also has a curious caption for a photo referencing building 74, which will be turned into townhouses. That, too, seems like a long dormant project.

202_cyclist commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/22/19 10:03 AM
Here are some photos of the new public space/park at the end of 4th Street that I mentioned.

link

link

4/21/19 10:23 PM
When we were walking along the river today we must have seen two dozen turtles and it looked like the shad were running. This got me to thinking that we should partner with the Anacostia Watershed Society or the Anacostia Riverkeeper to have a river cleanup and then happy hour.

4/21/19 11:47 AM
My wife and I were walking on this fine morning and we noticed there is a nice new park area off of 4th St, next to the Guild, where the WMATA maintenance entrance is located. I will post a couple of photos later this evening.

4/19/19 1:32 PM
Excellent news about the tower crane!

4/19/19 1:32 PM
JD-- While dogs are clearly the superior pets, I don't think anyone has ever stepped in cat poop while walking around the neighborhood.

JD commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/19/19 12:26 PM
In on-topic news, BOLO for a new tower crane for the neighborhood, at 250 M/DDOT HQ.

JES commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/19/19 10:15 AM
As a dog owner, nothing pisses me off more than other dog owners who don't pick up poop. If you can't or won't pick up poop, you shouldn't have a dog.

4/18/19 8:21 PM
malatesta— I know you said this jokingly but I helped clean up the Anacostia last weekend and as disgusting as plastic bottles and styrofoam are, even worse is the fecal matter that runs into our rivers after it rains because people are too lazy to clean up after their dogs.

malatesta commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/18/19 7:02 PM
I've never got any traction with this, because of the persistent pro-dog bias in the neighborhood, but given the negative externalities dog owners foist on the rest of us there ought to be a tax on dog ownership, paid out as a lump sum to dog free households

4/17/19 11:37 PM
Sad the way some people do little to prevent their dogs from turning any/every vertical surface into a toilet.

NYP commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/17/19 5:44 PM
Notice to residents of Park Chelsea, there will be ongoing construction at the empty retail unit along the bike door exit on I Street. Message seems to indicate that retail is going in but isn't specific. But does remind people to stop letting their dogs urinate on the column by that exit!

4/17/19 2:48 PM
@RMP Novel certainly ain't pretty, but I'm just glad someone went with something that isnt just a crapload of red brick. Way too much boring red brick in this quadrant of the 'hood.

4/16/19 11:45 AM
I try not to judge architecture or design too harshly but Novel South Capitol just looks so tacky to me. Not just the lights but the color scheme and interior (at least what you can see from the outside) as well.

It also sounds like it's confirmed that the Guild is not going to have a front desk or concierge on-site. Is this the first building in JDLand to forego this amenity?

4/15/19 11:08 PM
@smitty2k1: Let’s be nice. We JDLanders are spoiled by our Great Leader And Source Of All ‘Hood Knowledge. WTOP might be late in discovering the Truth, but we should welcome people from all denominations, even WTOP-ter Day Saints.

4/15/19 9:54 PM
@Gamble Rogers:

During the CSX construction, there were six tons of white bricks/pavers discovered that were brought to the US from England for one of the World Fairs during ththe early 20th century. These are being stored at the VA Ave community garden and I was told they will be utilized in some capacity at the park.

AT$ commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/15/19 9:35 PM
Anyone have any background on the giant neon blue square that lights up Novel South Capitol? Seems pretty bright. I would be displeased if we lived on the north side of One Hill South.

4/15/19 9:21 PM
Hey all,

I've been out of town for a few days and so if I've missed anything (other than Walters, I guess), let me know.

@Gamble, there's still fences on the "new" part of Virginia Avenue Park, or at least there were a few weeks ago. Once they've finished the bike path and the fences come down, I'll take pics, unless you get back first. :) link

Gamble Rogers commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/15/19 8:28 PM
Congratulations, JD! You well deserve any accolades thrown your way.

(And if the accolades don’t come... well, we’ll get you a slice at Nicoletta.)

For the record: you do a fine job covering the eastern side of NearNavyYardButNOTNavyYardItself. But could we grovel for some walk-through shots of Virginia Avenue Park? My family is stationed overseas and would love to see the park post-CSX.

Hope we can see the then-and-now photos during R&R in July!

4/15/19 2:19 PM
So on the topic of Brookfield, I overheard some of the Alibi folks grumbling about dealing with terrible Forest City/Bookfield management while I was walking my dog earlier this month. I've also overheard a lot of folks in their buildings are not very happy about the state of management lately. And I can personally testify to having a really really awful experience with the Yards Management office about 6 months ago when it was time for a lease renewal.

I know corporate transitions are never perfectly smooth, but I am concerned to some extent that Brookfield is making life miserable for their residents and retail tenants and it's going to have a ripple effect if something doesn't improve.

Anyone else in their buildings feel that way or am I only talking to people with a bone to pick?

smitty2k1 commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/15/19 1:48 PM
link

Does this article actually give any information? I don't think it does...?

JSN commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/15/19 11:06 AM
Does anyone know when Dacha is scheduled to open? I went by on Saturday and it looked extremely close.

Williambill3rd commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/13/19 5:33 PM
Walters Sports Bar tweets that it will open Sunday at 11am.

4/12/19 2:12 PM
@GarfieldPark-- I prefer to think more port-a-johns but as the kids say, whateves.

GarfieldPark commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/12/19 1:37 PM
Sign on NJ Ave cab place saying they have officially moved out. More hard hats coming to that location soon?

walt commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/12/19 9:20 AM
@CJBabyDaddy and @Dan:

dayummm. I am old!

4/12/19 7:49 AM
Yes, a temporary location until the fight over the high-rise is resolved.

NavyYardNittany commenting on Tidbits: Then and Now Exhibit, Nicoletta, Taco City, More Residential
4/12/19 1:46 AM
Build-out has started on the old service shop at the corner of First and K. Do I remember correctly and that’s a new space for the Waterfront church?

4/11/19 3:54 PM
@walt: People window shop via the screens on which which they read this blog. They do a ton of purchasing and find entertainment the same way. It’s 2019. Not likely to find any Make Window Shopping Great Again caps for sale — online or in store windows.

4/11/19 3:25 PM
The thing I don't like about all the high-rises, is that the retail chosen seems to just be convenience things for residents of the buildings. Coffee shops, bagel stores, dry cleaners, pet food. These are fine, but there is very little that makes people just want to walk around and look in shop windows. Remember window-shopping? It was fun. Not sure if it was effective or not in getting people to actually buy stuff, but at least it promoted walking around in the neighborhood as a type of entertainment.

JDLand Comments RSS Feed