Starting a new thread for today's lease tidbits. Mayor Williams is holding a briefing at 1:30
to give the latest on the lease agreement. UPDATE, 2:30 pm
: Not much new seems to have come out of the briefing; here's the AP's short piece: "Mayor Tony Williams says he's not giving up on the city's baseball deal. He says he plans to seek guarantees of outside money from developers and the federal government for infrastructure costs around the proposed stadium. That may help win him some votes on the DC Council. In the meantime, negotiations continue with baseball officials. D-C Sports and Entertainment Commission chairman Mark Tuohey says they don't expect a delayed vote on the stadium lease to cause major problems -- even if the city misses its December 31st deadline as expected. He says a brief delay shouldn't cost the city any extra money." UPDATE, 4:50 pm:
Here's the expanded version of the "All is Not Lost
" AP story I quoted above, which includes talk of the council wanting a team owner to pay a bigger share of the costs.