Near Southeast DC: Past News Items
- Apr 16, 2009
Go to Full Blog Archive
1 Blog Posts
Morning Linkage (Emancipation Day Edition)
Apr 16, 2009 8:33 AM
A busy busy time for me right now, so some quick links will have to suffice:
* It's Emancipation Day
, a DC government holiday, so city workers have the day off.
* The Post's Going Out Gurus has more
about the Akridge Half Street
," which now appears to be called "The Bullpen." Watch for the launch of thebullpendc.com
for more information.
* On Wednesday, April 22, EYA will be marking Earth Day at Capitol Quarter
with a ceremony marking the first CQ house to achieve LEED for Homes
certification, with a plaque presentation by the US Green Building COuncil. The proceedings start at 11 am, with a light luncheon at 11:30, at the sales office at Fourth and L. (Capitol Quarter is currently the country's largest for-sale LEED for Homes development.)
* Another green-related event: On April 21 the city's monthly Anacostia Waterfront Forum will focus on "Green Waterfront, Green Jobs, Green Living in a Green DC." It's at the MLK Library at Ninth and G, NW, with an open house beginning at 6:30 pm and the forum running from 7 to 8:30 pm. The April "Waterfront Watch" newsletter
has more information on the forum, as part of its focus on "Green DC."
* Greater Greater Washington writes about
the impact of the planned expansion of the 11th Street Bridges
, especially in light of the possibility of the "Center Leg Freeway" (I-395) between Massachusetts and New York avenues.
* DC Urban Turf has a roundup
of progress in the Near Capitol Ballpark River Yards neighborhood, with lots of quotes from the BID
* The latest BID newsletter (not yet online
) has the lineup of films for this summer's "Outdoor 80's Movies" series on Thursday nights on the plaza at Fourth and Tingey, beginning June 4: Back to the Future, The Princess Bride (6/11), Ghostbusters (6/18), Ferris Bueller's Day Off (6/25), Caddyshack (7/2), Breakfast Club (7/9), E.T. (7/16), Top Gun (7/23), Dirty Dancing (7/30), and Big (8/6).